May 27, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
The Rockets are going to offer their head-coaching job maybe as soon as Friday to… someone.
Friday is the deadline but there is still the little question of deciding who should actually get that offer, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports.
“The next step is to make a decision,” a person with knowledge of the process told CBSSports.com Thursday….
A second person familiar with the process told CBSSports.com Thursday night that the Rockets are expected to extend a formal offer to their top choice as early as Friday.
It looks like it will be Kevin McHale — the legendary player, former Timberwolves coach and current TNT analyst — or Dwyane Casey, another former Timberwolves head man who is currently busy as a Dallas assistant coach.
Lawrence Frank had been part of the second round of interviews but has faded from the picture, according to multiple reports. Frank still is in the running for the job in Golden State.
It sounds like the Rockets may have had a self-imposed deadline and have reached it, and that everyone now just needs to agree on a party.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6