May 27, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
The Rockets are going to offer their head-coaching job maybe as soon as Friday to… someone.
Friday is the deadline but there is still the little question of deciding who should actually get that offer, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports.
“The next step is to make a decision,” a person with knowledge of the process told CBSSports.com Thursday….
A second person familiar with the process told CBSSports.com Thursday night that the Rockets are expected to extend a formal offer to their top choice as early as Friday.
It looks like it will be Kevin McHale — the legendary player, former Timberwolves coach and current TNT analyst — or Dwyane Casey, another former Timberwolves head man who is currently busy as a Dallas assistant coach.
Lawrence Frank had been part of the second round of interviews but has faded from the picture, according to multiple reports. Frank still is in the running for the job in Golden State.
It sounds like the Rockets may have had a self-imposed deadline and have reached it, and that everyone now just needs to agree on a party.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17