May 27, 2011, 9:41 AM EST
The Rockets are going to offer their head-coaching job maybe as soon as Friday to… someone.
Friday is the deadline but there is still the little question of deciding who should actually get that offer, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports.
“The next step is to make a decision,” a person with knowledge of the process told CBSSports.com Thursday….
A second person familiar with the process told CBSSports.com Thursday night that the Rockets are expected to extend a formal offer to their top choice as early as Friday.
It looks like it will be Kevin McHale — the legendary player, former Timberwolves coach and current TNT analyst — or Dwyane Casey, another former Timberwolves head man who is currently busy as a Dallas assistant coach.
Lawrence Frank had been part of the second round of interviews but has faded from the picture, according to multiple reports. Frank still is in the running for the job in Golden State.
It sounds like the Rockets may have had a self-imposed deadline and have reached it, and that everyone now just needs to agree on a party.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)