May 27, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
Scottie Pippen has said what will be viewed as no less than blasphemy in Chicago.
The Hall of Fame player was interviewed on ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike show Friday morning (via NBA.com’s Sekou Smith) following the Heat’s comeback win to eliminate the Bulls and he compared Michael Jordan and LeBron James.
“Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to ever play in the game, but I may go as far to say LeBron James is probably the greatest player to ever play the game. Not only can he score at will, but he keeps everybody involved. You have to be on your Ps and Qs because everybody is a threat to score when he’s on the floor. Not only that, LeBron James will dominate the game on the offensive end and he’s able to do it on the defensive end as well. He can get in those passing lanes and dominate the game.”
Not sure we’re there yet, Scottie. For the record, Jordan was dominant on the defensive end as well. No doubt LeBron has a fantastic all-around game, and I’ll even agree he is a more natural and gifted passer than Jordan.
But Jordan learned hard lessons about keeping others involved and when that sunk in sufficiently (and he was put in a system that promoted that) Jordan was good about keeping teammates in the game. Including Pippen. That is how the Bulls won those six rings.
And not to sound like Jason Segel in those Bad Teacher trailers but… Jordan has six rings. LeBron has none. It’s the only argument I need.
But that rings argument may be changing soon. And eventually this could be a different discussion. Remember Jordan was 28 when he got his first title, LeBron is only 26. We are nowhere near the end of this debate.
Here’s the video of the conversation, via CSN Chicago.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games