May 27, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
The two times they met in the regular season, Caron Butler played a big role for the Dallas Mavericks against the Miami Heat. He averaged 18 points per game on 54 percent shooting and he covered Dwyane Wade and LeBron James for extended stretches.
Don’t expect him to be back for the NBA finals.
He has been out since February with a knee injury and while he had worked to get back Mavs but coach Rick Carlisle told the Associated Press Friday it’s “unlikely.”
He threw in the “I don’t know for sure,” line, but at this point and with how they are playing even if he could come back the Mavs would not want to try to integrate him back into the flow. Miami may have done it with Haslem, but he was farther along in rehab and they were more desperate for bench help.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9