May 27, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
The two times they met in the regular season, Caron Butler played a big role for the Dallas Mavericks against the Miami Heat. He averaged 18 points per game on 54 percent shooting and he covered Dwyane Wade and LeBron James for extended stretches.
Don’t expect him to be back for the NBA finals.
He has been out since February with a knee injury and while he had worked to get back Mavs but coach Rick Carlisle told the Associated Press Friday it’s “unlikely.”
He threw in the “I don’t know for sure,” line, but at this point and with how they are playing even if he could come back the Mavs would not want to try to integrate him back into the flow. Miami may have done it with Haslem, but he was farther along in rehab and they were more desperate for bench help.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49