May 27, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
The two times they met in the regular season, Caron Butler played a big role for the Dallas Mavericks against the Miami Heat. He averaged 18 points per game on 54 percent shooting and he covered Dwyane Wade and LeBron James for extended stretches.
Don’t expect him to be back for the NBA finals.
He has been out since February with a knee injury and while he had worked to get back Mavs but coach Rick Carlisle told the Associated Press Friday it’s “unlikely.”
He threw in the “I don’t know for sure,” line, but at this point and with how they are playing even if he could come back the Mavs would not want to try to integrate him back into the flow. Miami may have done it with Haslem, but he was farther along in rehab and they were more desperate for bench help.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 6
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 36
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 6