May 27, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
The two times they met in the regular season, Caron Butler played a big role for the Dallas Mavericks against the Miami Heat. He averaged 18 points per game on 54 percent shooting and he covered Dwyane Wade and LeBron James for extended stretches.
Don’t expect him to be back for the NBA finals.
He has been out since February with a knee injury and while he had worked to get back Mavs but coach Rick Carlisle told the Associated Press Friday it’s “unlikely.”
He threw in the “I don’t know for sure,” line, but at this point and with how they are playing even if he could come back the Mavs would not want to try to integrate him back into the flow. Miami may have done it with Haslem, but he was farther along in rehab and they were more desperate for bench help.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32