May 27, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
The two times they met in the regular season, Caron Butler played a big role for the Dallas Mavericks against the Miami Heat. He averaged 18 points per game on 54 percent shooting and he covered Dwyane Wade and LeBron James for extended stretches.
Don’t expect him to be back for the NBA finals.
He has been out since February with a knee injury and while he had worked to get back Mavs but coach Rick Carlisle told the Associated Press Friday it’s “unlikely.”
He threw in the “I don’t know for sure,” line, but at this point and with how they are playing even if he could come back the Mavs would not want to try to integrate him back into the flow. Miami may have done it with Haslem, but he was farther along in rehab and they were more desperate for bench help.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29