May 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves don’t know what they are going to do with the No. 2 pick yet — keep it or trade it.
But maybe we know what their dream scenario will be.
In his latest mock draft, Sports Illustrated’s Sam Amick says this about Minnesota and the No. 2 pick:
It should surprise no one that Minnesota is entertaining offers for this pick. (Arizona forward Derrick) Williams is considered by most teams (including Minnesota) to be the best player available after Irving, but it’s hardly a fantastic fit. Michael Beasley has a similar skill set, and forward Kevin Love and swingman Wesley Johnson don’t appear to be going anywhere. One source says the Wolves have considered moving down a spot or two to take Enes Kanter while getting additional assets in a trade.
Trade the pick and still get Kanter, the center from Turkey who was star of the recent NBA Draft Combine, would indeed be a steal.
The problems are two-fold. First, would the team moving into the No. 2 spot take Kanter? Williams is the consensus second best player available, but he’s not a guy teams think is so good they want to give up much to get in that spot and get him. Kanter (in part because few have seen him play in recent years) holds some allure — a team may move up to No. 2 to get him.
The other is what the Jazz will do at No. 3. Kanter might be the best available player at that point, but the Jazz already have Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors and Paul Millsap up front. What the Jazz need is a point guard like Brandon Knight. But might they just take the best player available anyway, regardless of position.
For a draft not deep in top-flight talent, it is a draft deep with intrigue.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 23
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19