May 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EST
The Minnesota Timberwolves don’t know what they are going to do with the No. 2 pick yet — keep it or trade it.
But maybe we know what their dream scenario will be.
In his latest mock draft, Sports Illustrated’s Sam Amick says this about Minnesota and the No. 2 pick:
It should surprise no one that Minnesota is entertaining offers for this pick. (Arizona forward Derrick) Williams is considered by most teams (including Minnesota) to be the best player available after Irving, but it’s hardly a fantastic fit. Michael Beasley has a similar skill set, and forward Kevin Love and swingman Wesley Johnson don’t appear to be going anywhere. One source says the Wolves have considered moving down a spot or two to take Enes Kanter while getting additional assets in a trade.
Trade the pick and still get Kanter, the center from Turkey who was star of the recent NBA Draft Combine, would indeed be a steal.
The problems are two-fold. First, would the team moving into the No. 2 spot take Kanter? Williams is the consensus second best player available, but he’s not a guy teams think is so good they want to give up much to get in that spot and get him. Kanter (in part because few have seen him play in recent years) holds some allure — a team may move up to No. 2 to get him.
The other is what the Jazz will do at No. 3. Kanter might be the best available player at that point, but the Jazz already have Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors and Paul Millsap up front. What the Jazz need is a point guard like Brandon Knight. But might they just take the best player available anyway, regardless of position.
For a draft not deep in top-flight talent, it is a draft deep with intrigue.
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s MVP-level season looks a lot like last season 3
- PBT Podcast: Damian Lillard can’t miss, plus Iguodala return 0
- The Extra Pass: The Spurs’ Hammer set; plus Tuesday’s recaps 1
- Tuesday night NBA grades: Damian Lillard is clutch 2
- Nuggets Jordan Hamilton ejected for striking Thunder’s Steven Adams (VIDEO) 10
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (104)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (45)