Mike Miller playing through physical, emotional pain

May 26, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Four Getty Images

Mike Miller is going to be a big key for the Miami Heat come the NBA finals. Even in trying to close out the Chicago Bulls in Game 5 Thursday night.

But it’s not going to be easy for him, physically or emotionally.

Physically, Miller is playing through a ruptured tendon in his left thumb, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said at practice on Wednesday. This is exactly what he did to his right thumb in training camp and why he missed the first three months of the season. That he is playing at all is impressive, and this explains his at times up and down play. That said, he had a big Game 4 for the Heat and they need more of that.

On a personal note, Miller is playing through a difficult personal issue as well, reports Tom Haberstroh of ESPN.

His wife gave birth to a baby girl last Thursday in a South Florida hospital, but the newborn daughter has remained in the intensive care unit with an undisclosed health issue. Miller left with the team on Wednesday to travel to Chicago.

Our thoughts are with him and his family.

But it’s not going to get any easier, the role the Heat will ask Miller to play is only going to grow with each game.

1. southbeachtalent - May 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Hang in there Mike, stay positive.

• r0llinginthedeep - May 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Honestly, who gives a comment like that a thumbs down?

I’m not necessarily rooting for the Heat, but I’m rooting for Mike and definitely rooting for his baby girl.

• memphismiracle - May 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Everybody loved him while he was in Memphis. Hoping nothing but the best for him.

2. finfanrod - May 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I’ve been through a similar situation with twin girls and I know how much of a toll it took on me every day. Going to the hospital and having to scrub in every day to just get to spend 20 mins with my girls was awful. I really feel for you Mike and I’m even more impressed with how you’re gutting this out. I never really appreciated what you brought to the Heat until the last couple of games and for that I was remiss.

Godspeed to you and your family

3. andrejohnsonforpresident - May 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Great guy, underrated. Hope everything goes well for him!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches