May 26, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
You think it’s all about the basketball, what happens on the court.
It’s not, basketball is a business and the Utah Jazz may be caught a little in the middle of it when it comes to the NBA draft and Jimmer Fredette.
The Jazz have the No. 3 and No. 12 pick and there are plenty of people in Utah who want them to take hometown hero and BYU product Fredette. Those people are not basketball people — there are serious questions by scouts about how well Fredette can defend or create his own shot at the NBA level. They project him close to the end of the first round as a pick.
But Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated said the business side in Utah wants Fredette and the team is thinking about it.
…but a source who has spoken to the Jazz insists that they are seriously thinking about taking the BYU product this high. The departures of coach Jerry Sloan and Williams mean the business folks want a new addition about whom the fans can get excited. The basketball part would be challenging for new coach Tyrone Corbin, as the pressure to play Fredette even if he didn’t always want to would be significant. Lithuanian big man Donatas Motiejunas is also a possibility with the second of Utah’s two lottery picks.
Our own NBC/Rotoworld Mock Draft by our man Steve Alexander has the Jazz thinking about Fredette but taking Jan Vesely of the Czech Republic (this mock has Fredette going at No. 15 to Indiana). Vesely may not fall to eight but either way the Jazz basketball people are not talking Fredette.
But the Jazz could take him anyway.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2