May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT
In the ongoing feud between Charles Barkley and all things Miami Heat, Barkley has now drawn Nike into the fight.
Not that he’s wrong.
In the wake of fans chanting things at Barkley on the set and him responding with a finger gesture (a version of “you’re number one”), then Dwyane Wade backing the fans, the hoop legend and TNT analyst told the Miami Herald that LeBrom James has not said anything to him.
“These athletes today are all wussified,” Barkley said. “I’ve been saying LeBron’s been the best player in the league for three years. And I say one thing criticizing The Decision, and I get a phone call from Nike saying why don’t I like LeBron? It’s interesting how this [expletive] works. These groups today, if you don’t say 100 percent positive about their guy or their team, they overreact.”
Nike does tend to overreact regarding James. As evidence we remind you of the time then college player Jordan Crawford dunked on James and Nike representatives went around the gym trying to confiscate all the tapes. (No, they don’t get to ever live that one down.) They are protecting what they see as their next big cash cow.
As for Barkley and the Heat… what did you expect? Stirring the pot is what Barkley does. It’s a game folks, let’s not overreact here.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 52
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6