May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM EST
In the ongoing feud between Charles Barkley and all things Miami Heat, Barkley has now drawn Nike into the fight.
Not that he’s wrong.
In the wake of fans chanting things at Barkley on the set and him responding with a finger gesture (a version of “you’re number one”), then Dwyane Wade backing the fans, the hoop legend and TNT analyst told the Miami Herald that LeBrom James has not said anything to him.
“These athletes today are all wussified,” Barkley said. “I’ve been saying LeBron’s been the best player in the league for three years. And I say one thing criticizing The Decision, and I get a phone call from Nike saying why don’t I like LeBron? It’s interesting how this [expletive] works. These groups today, if you don’t say 100 percent positive about their guy or their team, they overreact.”
Nike does tend to overreact regarding James. As evidence we remind you of the time then college player Jordan Crawford dunked on James and Nike representatives went around the gym trying to confiscate all the tapes. (No, they don’t get to ever live that one down.) They are protecting what they see as their next big cash cow.
As for Barkley and the Heat… what did you expect? Stirring the pot is what Barkley does. It’s a game folks, let’s not overreact here.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)