May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM EST
In the ongoing feud between Charles Barkley and all things Miami Heat, Barkley has now drawn Nike into the fight.
Not that he’s wrong.
In the wake of fans chanting things at Barkley on the set and him responding with a finger gesture (a version of “you’re number one”), then Dwyane Wade backing the fans, the hoop legend and TNT analyst told the Miami Herald that LeBrom James has not said anything to him.
“These athletes today are all wussified,” Barkley said. “I’ve been saying LeBron’s been the best player in the league for three years. And I say one thing criticizing The Decision, and I get a phone call from Nike saying why don’t I like LeBron? It’s interesting how this [expletive] works. These groups today, if you don’t say 100 percent positive about their guy or their team, they overreact.”
Nike does tend to overreact regarding James. As evidence we remind you of the time then college player Jordan Crawford dunked on James and Nike representatives went around the gym trying to confiscate all the tapes. (No, they don’t get to ever live that one down.) They are protecting what they see as their next big cash cow.
As for Barkley and the Heat… what did you expect? Stirring the pot is what Barkley does. It’s a game folks, let’s not overreact here.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10