Thibodeau thinks Derrick Rose not getting the calls

May 25, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Three Getty Images

Derrick Rose has averaged 6.5 free throws a game so far in the Eastern Conference Finals, which is down just slightly from the 6.9 trips to the line he averaged during the regular season.

But Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau was expecting a lot more.

And he’s blaming the officials. Kind of. In an “I don’t want to get fined” kind of way, as reported at the Palm Beach Post.

“He hasn’t been able to get to the line like we thought he would,” the Bulls coach said. “There’s a lot of contact, and he hasn’t gotten calls.”

The fact is the referees have let this be a physical series for the most part — as they should in the Eastern Conference Finals. The game should get more physical and the referees should let them play at this point in the season.

Part of being a champion is being able to adjust and play through that. The Heat are dealing with it much better right now.

1. miami4allday - May 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Please the Bulls cann’t be crying about not getting calls. As much as Noah, Deng and those other clowns hold and grab, they should be the last team crying about calls

• savvybynature - May 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Spoken like a true homer: “Hey other team: Stop crying about the calls so much! You are drowning out the sound of me crying about the calls!”

I think the referees have, for the most part, been pretty fair this series.

2. bobulated - May 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I think it’s been called pretty evenly and have to say LeBron and Wade haven’t been getting as many touch calls as they usually do either. I couldn’t believe they actually whistled LeBron for using his arm to clear out last night. It certainly was a foul but I just don’t see stars called for that consistently.
    And yes, for the Bulls to play their aggressive style of D they need the refs to be lenient. I think the last thing Thibodeau wants is for touch fouls being called both ways. Wade, Bosh and LeBron would be at the line just as much as Rose or Boozer.

• chicago240 - May 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I don’t know. Seems to me Lebron is getting his share of foul calls. (last two game free throws 22 vs. Rose 10 with half the muggings). Did you see how Lebron was just flattened my Deng’s modest shoulder deep in the fourth. You’d have thought Lebron was nailed with a shotgun he went down so viciously. Can anyone say European soccer pratfall? Truth is that a couple 3’s from Korver or an improvement in outside shooting would make ref calls moot. The Bulls need to man up in the homestretch of these games and make their shots…..and they’re not.

• bobulated - May 25, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Yup, Bron definitely flopped but that’s the NBA way now. And the Bulls have no room to talk after some of the excellent Euro-Flopping Asik has pulled out his shorts in the playoffs.

3. jd - May 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Thibs is right and it couldn’t be more obvious.

You would think that the league would be a little more protective of the MVP. Where are all the “star” fouls? He was getting them against Indiana.

• philtration - May 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Rose never gets those calls.
      Rookie of the year, All-Star the next season and now the league MVP and he gets hacked all the time with no foul called.
      Does he have to act like an attention-seeking jag off to get a call?

If Wade passes a snot bubble they blow the whistle.
      How about LeBron tucking the ball and just running with it for 4 or 5 steps like he is Jim Brown?
      How do you not call that?

• cordae - May 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Dude, why are you so bitter sounding with every post against miami? I’m a LeBron fan and YES i know he has a history of traveling, but I’ve watched every game he’s played in this years playoffs and he hasn’t done it once. Stop finding stuff to cry about, you’re sounding like Thibs…

• philtration - May 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Oh I am so sorry.
      You are a LeBron fan and you have not seen him travel once this season?

Thanks for clearing that up and showing how unbiased you are.

4. iDroidX - May 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Wouldnt have said this if Rose made that free throw and won the game.

5. hnirobert3 - May 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Aren’t both teams within 10 free throw attempts of each other for the series?

6. chargerdillon - May 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Just because Derrick Rose is holding Lebrons MVP award this year doesn’t mean he deserves the calls. I like Noah’s physical style but it’s just that PHYSICAL. Noah deserves way more calls than he gets.

To put fairness in perspective, with the game nearing to the wire, the refs called a deserving offensive push off on Lebron James ON THE KINGS COURT! His reaction was huge because most ballers are under the impression when the came is close, you let the players play.

The foul was deserving and called, and it didn’t effect the outcome of the game, the players did.

If this series doesn’t tell you anything about the MVP title, it goes to the player with the least amount of help on his team. Lebron played that role for enough years, and he’s ready to sell that moniker for a real shot at a championship. Ask Lebron, i guarantee you he’d give away both MVP titles for one ring.

Eventually Derrick will learn this and either find a new team, or because a better team player. If Kobe can figure out how to be a team player (sort of) ANYBODY CAN.

7. zblott - May 25, 2011 at 2:18 PM

How can anyone give a thumbs up to a comment asking if the teams are within 10 fta of each other if simply looking at the boxscores for a few seconds shows the Heat have taken 17 more? I can’t wait for the day basketball fans catch up to baseball fans in terms of actually looking at numbers before they blindly believe “facts” about players and teams.

• philtration - May 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Because Heat fans obsessively log in and out and vote on their own comments.
      They know nothing about the game or any other sport in the Miami area and it shows.
      Standing down at the gift shop of the stadium picking out another Heat fanny pack for the fist two quarters of every game.

They want to be looked at as the East cost version of Hollywood but the truth is Florida is nothing more than Southern Georgia.

• merkjones - May 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Well put.

• hookermctitties - May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

South Georgia??? Obviously you are too broke or dorky to party in a city like Miami. Stop crying and support the Champs of the East MIAMI HEAT BABY!!!

P.S. South Florida only knows about titles. Marlins, Heat, oh and the ’72 Dolphins aka GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME!

• cordae - May 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Didn’t you just bash me a weak ago for a sterotypical JOKE of your hometown?

Hypocrite…

• bobulated - May 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Growing up in the South I agree with that statement to a point but F-L-A stops being redneck south Georgia a little north of Orlando. Than it becomes the Land of Rich Retired Snow Birds pretty much all the way to the Keys.

8. sdmfla - May 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM

How about Rose cant take it to the hole as much cause of great D first of all,then when he does he gets as many calls as Wade or Bron. So dont give me that BS Tibbs. Tell his star player to be more aggressive then the calls will come unless Lebron or Wade blocks that crap like they did last night!!!!

9. southbeachtalent - May 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Thibs… cry me a river. Your team choked when it counted-bottom line. Those turnovers and airballs had absolutely nothing to do with officiating. Your one man team is going no where with that great bench and team work the “experts” and fans kept preaching about. Plain and simple the Bulls are out-matched. Rose can not beat this team alone, and Boozer is an epic fail. I can’t even believe he commented on Bosh?? The Heat played horrible and still won. I thought the COY would be smarter than that…

Oh and Philturd,

Your a joke buddy. All of your posts are derrogatory and senseless. East Coast version of Hollywood?? Really? Are you 90? What “shows” is how completely biased and ignorant you are. Get a clue, oh and do us a favor and never visit our city we have enough out of town douche bags as it is. Stay in Ohio or Chicago or whatever broken hearted city it is that your from.

Like I’ve said the whole time HEAT IN 5!

• hookermctitties - May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Phil got SERVED!!!

• philtration - May 26, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I have been to Miami and it was a tacky dump.
      The closest thing that you have to culture comes from the retired New Yorkers and the cowards that ran away from Cuba 50 years ago.
      The rest is just fake Disney hype surrounded by crime-ridden Dade County.

Alabama East.

• southbeachtalent - May 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Tell you what Phil you and your kind stay out of Miami, I will try my hardest to stay out of Ohio… hahahahahahahahaha. Disney? That’s no where near Dade County you fool! Oh I get it, by saying ” I’ve been to Miami” you mean on the travel channel.. Phil with every post you prove to be more of an idiot.

Culture?? Really culture?? Ohio has a culture….LOSING! We owned the sorry as Indians in 97 and now we ripped your little hearts out. Yea I saw you crying in your sports bars, face palming, burning your LeBron jersey’s. Ohhhh no LeBron…Why???? Cause your sorry as city SUCKS that’s why!!! The Browns, the Indians, and the Cavs…. WOW! I’d be hating all day too!!

10. frankvzappa - May 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Considering a Lebron title will generate $4 billion in revenue in China, I am pretty sure this one is rigged. If you don’t think the refs have been instructed to make sure Miami goes all the way, you are living in a fantasy land.

• southbeachtalent - May 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

frank for your sake stop watching… code red-code red their in the bushes!!

$4 billion in China? WTF???

• frankvzappa - May 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM

there was an article a week ago with those exact numbers

• philtration - May 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Don’t confuse him with facts.

• bcriz - May 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM

“there was an article a week ago with those exact numbers”

LOL
      wait one more time
      LOL
      let me guess you are one of those people that believe everything you read on the internet…HAHAHAHA
      If thats the case i am sure you believed the world was going to end last saturday too. I mean that was an article a week ago with the exact numbers saying on 5-21-2011 the word was ending….That did not happen….What a moron. I am neither a heat or bulls fan…Bulls are being out played Period. I was so happy Rose got the MVP, but now i am starting to wonder. hate to say it but Heat in five.

HAHA you have to believe my prediction cause its an article…and you believe all articles and you just read it.

11. ledanielwade - May 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Philtration I am on to you. Your real name must be Charles Barkley because your hating like mother**cker. (not calling you one just acting hating like one) Watch the Bulls play and you will realize a lot of times these guys are pushing from behind on offensive rebounds. Its like Steve “barbie” Kerr said last night people need to let the hate go away. If you wanna hate here is a list of some people that deserve it. Ben Roethlisberger, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Tiger Woods, and the rest of the other people who have actually commited crimes or treat people crap. Now that I have given you some real reasons to hate go ahead and hate until you fall asleep. Be careful sometimes haters have nightmares of Lebron dunking on them rubbing his nuts all over their faces. Sleep well tonight.

• philtration - May 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I sleep well every night.
      Sex with a woman will do that and I recommend that you try it some day.

As soon as you save enough money to pay for it that is.

12. alltimeballa - May 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM

TIBBS should “MAN UP”!!! This is the NBA (No Boys Allowed). Be a grown AZZ man and admit that The Heat have figured out that The Bull are a one pony show!

• philtration - May 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Guys from Miami love to talk about pony shows.

• alltimeballa - May 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I’m from Pittsburgh PA.

13. olsherm - May 26, 2011 at 12:25 AM

philtration must be from cleveland and still hating on Lebron

• philtration - May 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Yeah… that must be it.
      Nothing slip past your razor sharp mind does it?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches