May 25, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
As PBT told you Tuesday, the NBA players union has filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board accusing the league and owners of not negotiating in good faith. They accused the owners of “making harsh, inflexible, and grossly regressive ‘takeaway’ demands” and just about everything else they could think of.
As expected, the league sent out a release saying, in essence, the union is full of it.
“There is no merit to the charge filed today by the Players Association with the National Labor Relations Board, as we have complied and will continue to comply — with all of our obligations under the federal labor laws,” the NBA said in the statement. “It will not distract us from our efforts to negotiate in good faith a new collective bargaining agreement with the Players Association.
Bottom line, this feels like both sides are really digging in for what will be a long and ugly battle. I hope not, but steps like this are killing my already limited optimism.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?