LeBron, Mo Williams say Lakers got good coach

May 25, 2011, 6:48 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

While Lakers fans are still trying to talk themselves into Mike Brown being a good fit as the Los Angeles coach, his former players are trying to tell them the franchise is in good hands.

This is what he said to NBA.com.

“If it’s true, when it’s official,” James said, “I think the Lakers got them a great coach.”

“Mike Brown was a great coach,” James said. “He gave us success that we hadn’t had before in that city. And it started with his defensive concepts. He brought in a defensive mind set that we didn’t have.”

“We were competitive year after year because of his coaching. So I respect him and I’m grateful to have had him as a coach throughout the years that I had him. He definitely helped me become who I am today.”

Mo Williams — who was ticked when Mike Brown got fired and tweeted plenty about it — went back to twitter today.

Congrats to mike brown… Lakers won’t be sorry for that hiring

Lakers fans may not be convinced.

But on the bright side, they now have a coach that is not going to sit quietly on the sidelines during games.

1. purdueman - May 25, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Le Bum only made this statement on the advice of his publicist. Truth is, he may be out of next Thursday’s playoff game against the Bulls because reports are that he busted a gut from laughing so hard when he hear the news that the Lakers gave Bonehead Brown (he of the beaver like teeth), $18.5M and a FOUR YEAR guaranteed deal! Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!

• hoopsfanatic - May 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Purdueman,

I have no idea if Lebron was sincere are not regarding his statement about Mike Brown. Then again, neither do you.

In the end, no one knows how this is going to turn out. It seems obvious that you are convinced Mike Brown will be a failure as the Laker’s head coach.

Kobe stated in his exit interview that the Lakers had to improve their defense. Brown is widely regarded as a good defensive coach.

Again, only time will tell how this is going to turn out. However, your clown-like celebration over Brown’s hire is very entertaining. :D

• purdueman - May 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thanks hoops… my posts were indeed intended to be entertaining as I find too many Laker Homers and bandwagoners to be way too serious most of the time. Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and you cry alone.

I always like to remind my sports buddies that we’re all just fans; as far as I know, nobody within Laker management reached out to any of us on these chat boards to seek our input on the Brown hire. As fans, we can all only hope for the best for the teams that we root for, and show our enthusiasm or disdain with our wallets.

In the nations three largest media markets (NY, LA and Chicago), in order for a coach or manager to be successful they have to be able to handle the media. This is part of the reason why I was so dumbfounded when I heard the announcement that the usually soft spoken Brown had been hired by the “Showtime” Lakers.

Phil was a master at handling the media, Ozzie Guillen is the toast of Chicago and Joe Torre was one of the best at it; having this God given skill that can’t be learned is important in these big media markets because the head coach/manager has to act as the buffer between his players and the media. Can Brown handle it? Not from what I saw during his years in small media market Cleveland.

2. purdueman - May 25, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Where are all of you Laker Homers, Honks and bandwagoner’s tonight? I mean, this is the most significant news regarding the Lakers since their elimination in the playoffs? Why are all of ou in hiding all of a sudden???

Perhaps too ashamed to show your faces and post??? (Ha ha ha! I would be too if my team hired this meatball!).

• wfon1 - May 26, 2011 at 4:37 AM

STILL IN MOURNING!
      STILL PISSED!
      UNLIKE YOU, WE’RE NOT USED TO LOSING, YOU FU**ING LOSER!

• downtowndanny - May 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM

ask and ye shall receive…as a long time Laker fan I think this was the best move available. Van Gundy’s name only buzzed on blogs not in the front office. If he can get Kobe on board then this will workout, easier said than done , because these guys have been set in there ways for a long time. He still has one of the best teams in the league, far better than anything he had in Cleveland. Add some defense and they’re back in the finals. With OKC and Dallas being more dominant, this was more a move for the future than the present. Laugh now, but this will work!

• wfon1 - Jun 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Got to get that eye of the tiger back.
        remember this?:

3. olsherm - May 25, 2011 at 11:17 PM

hating on lebron and the lakers HATER

• purdueman - May 25, 2011 at 11:19 PM

That would make him a great American and a fine, outstanding young man!

4. wyattmerr12 - May 25, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Why is Mike Brown a bad coach?

• purdueman - May 25, 2011 at 11:45 PM

It’s not that Brown is a bad coach, it’s just that he’s not an elite coach which is what you’d expect from the Lakers, particularly since (due to the age of their roster), their window of opportunity is getting smaller and smaller and the window of opportunity is closing.

The other issue with Brown is one of acceptance. Kobe has NEVER accepted ANY head coach who hasn’t proven themselves by earning at least one ring (Brown of course has none).

• simplelogic67 - May 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Actually Brown does have a ring (03′ Spurs), and if there was an elite coach with rings available for hire then they probably would have hired him. However, there were no such candidates on the market; and for good reason, they don’t exactly grow on trees.

• purdueman - May 26, 2011 at 2:04 AM

simple… I would have hired Jeff Van Gumby in a heartbeat over the stiff the Lakers just hired, and I’m willing to bet the family farm that Kobe would agree with me too!

’03 Spurs, eh? Did they have a team back then?

5. danvoges - May 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM

mike brown will coach defense, kobe will coach offense

• purdueman - May 26, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Correction… Kobe’s about to become the biggest hemorrhoid Brown has ever had… even worse than the one he got from trying to get Le Bum to play team basketball!

6. purdueman - May 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM

With respect to the players acceptance or non acceptance of Coach Brown, a famous line from one of The Who’s songs is very apropos:

“Meet the new boss… same as the old boss…” In other words, might as well get used to the idea because the inmates don’t typically run the asylum.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches