May 24, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
The Knicks need a center. There will be a few interesting ones out there on the free agent market.
Been told the Knicks aren’t overly interested in Marc Gasol. Not the type of center they’re looking for. Dalembert, Chandler more their type
Gasol may be tough to get anyway, he likely will be a restricted free agent under whatever the new Collective Bargaining Agreement looks like. Meaning that Memphis can match any offer for him. And the Knicks will not be able to offer much after picking up the extension on Chauncey Billups for next season. Whatever the Knicks can offer, the Grizzlies likely would match.
Who else the Knicks can get will be determined by what the new CBA looks like and allows.
Tyson Chandler, as he is proving right now with Dallas, is the best pure defensive center in the game (Dwight Howard is there too, but Howard brings more offense). And it is easy to see how Chandler’s ability to finish lobs would fit well in the Mike D’Antoni offense. But again, the Knicks will be limited in what they can offer most likely and Dallas would be able to offer that and more to keep their own player (a feature likely to stick around in the new CBA).
Samuel Dalembert makes the most sense. He is a long, defensive minded center with some athleticism but who likely will take a steep paycut from the $13.4 million he made last season. The question is what kind of effort the Kings will make to keep him, they say he is a priority but there are plenty of big picture questions about what the Kings will spend. They theoretically can spend to keep him, whether they really have the will is the question.
The former Sixer is not a perfect fit for the Knicks but he’s better than anyone they have and he can work well if he stays healthy. He could help the Knicks.
It’s all a little murky, but don’t expect Marc Gasol to be a Knick is the bottom line.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32