May 24, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
This is just plain obvious. Which is why it seemed ludicrous when GM David Kahn and the rest of the Minnesota brass were trying to sell the “Ricky Rubio will be with us next season” crap a month back and more.
Rubio wants to know what is up with the NBA lockout before committing to coming to the NBA. Because he is sane. The lockout will not even start until July 1.
And as Wolves owner Glen Taylor said to the Pioneer Press, Minnesota would like to know what Rubio plans to do before the June 23 draft.
“That is the question,” Wolves owner Glen Taylor said Monday. “He’s asking how that (lockout) might affect him, if we don’t play or if we will play. And our answer is, ‘We won’t know the answer to that question. You’re going to have to make your decision before that.’
“We (NBA owners) are negotiating with the players right now. We’re hopeful we’ll play. But I don’t want to guarantee him that because there’s no way that I know that.”
Why would Rubio commit to come over into this NBA uncertainty? Plus (at least under the current system) if he stays another year when he comes to the NBA he is out from under the rookie contract and can sign for more money.
Him coming over now just makes no sense. But the Wolves hold out hope.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 9
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 2
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 45
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 28
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 21
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (79)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay