May 24, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Good on Kurt Rambis.
It has largely been rumored the he was going to be let go by the Minnesota Timberwolves after this season, but so far no word. Team owner Glen Taylor said as an aside the other day that he didn’t know what was going to happen with Rambis and that the decision is GM David Kahn’s.
Kahn is not playing his hand because… well, he’s David Kahn.
So rather than sit around and do nothing, Rambis showed up to the team’s draft prospect workout on Monday.
Awkward, reports the Associated Press.
He sat several feet away from Minnesota president David Kahn, a scene that wouldn’t have been quite so awkward if Rambis knew whether he was returning for a third season as Timberwolves coach…. The president and the coach who just two years ago were billed as the tandem that was going to turn around one of the league’s most woebegone franchises did not speak to each other during the 15 minutes the workout was opened to the media, but it was not clear if the two met or spoke at any other point in the session.
Again, good for Rambis. Put the pressure on Kahn to do something. If he wants to make a change it’s unclear what he’s waiting for (even the assistant coaches with the teams that are left are granting interviews). Otherwise, show up and put in some input on who is going to be on your team next season.
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 0
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 21
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56