May 24, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
When it comes time to pull the trigger on a trade for the Golden State Warriors, that will not be Jerry West’s finger.
But before that trade goes down West will have had his say on the matter.
That was the takeaway from Jerry West’s introductory press conference as part of the Golden State Warriors. West was very West in this conference, an old-school combination of confidence and humility. (The conference was streamed live and later reported on by CSN Bay Area.)
West — the legendary player and former Lakers and Grizzlies GM — promised he would be no “figurehead” or “shrinking violet” but that he was looking at the big picture.
“I love to win, there’s a way to win, there’s a way to build a team and I’m thrilled to be here,” West said.
“I’ve been blessed with tremendous energy. I’m older, I’ve had really good health, and the thing that I really care about is winning. “
West understands winning as an organization. Owner Joe Lacob said West was not just going to consult on players, coaches and the basketball side of operations, but also the business side. That the plan was to transform the Warriors organization and West was perfectly suited to be part of that.
Lacob and co-owner Peter Guber had to court West over a series of meetings and dinners in Los Angeles. The big lure is that West got an ownership stake with the team (something he never got from the Lakers).
West is all in now, he made that clear at the press conference. And the Warriors will be better for that.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43