May 24, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
When it comes time to pull the trigger on a trade for the Golden State Warriors, that will not be Jerry West’s finger.
But before that trade goes down West will have had his say on the matter.
That was the takeaway from Jerry West’s introductory press conference as part of the Golden State Warriors. West was very West in this conference, an old-school combination of confidence and humility. (The conference was streamed live and later reported on by CSN Bay Area.)
West — the legendary player and former Lakers and Grizzlies GM — promised he would be no “figurehead” or “shrinking violet” but that he was looking at the big picture.
“I love to win, there’s a way to win, there’s a way to build a team and I’m thrilled to be here,” West said.
“I’ve been blessed with tremendous energy. I’m older, I’ve had really good health, and the thing that I really care about is winning. “
West understands winning as an organization. Owner Joe Lacob said West was not just going to consult on players, coaches and the basketball side of operations, but also the business side. That the plan was to transform the Warriors organization and West was perfectly suited to be part of that.
Lacob and co-owner Peter Guber had to court West over a series of meetings and dinners in Los Angeles. The big lure is that West got an ownership stake with the team (something he never got from the Lakers).
West is all in now, he made that clear at the press conference. And the Warriors will be better for that.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32