Derrick Rose vows to be more aggressive in Game 4

May 24, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

For three games now, Derrick Rose has come off the top of the high screen and saw a line of defenders. Sometimes it’s a trap and a traditional double team. Sometimes its more of a soft double with the next guy just rotated over ready to come — the Heat have the athletes to come at him in waves.

Rose has done what basketball coaches have told him since elementary school — when all those guys are on you someone else has to be open. Pass the ball.

Rose has done that and watched Bulls offense struggle. Tuesday night he is going to see what he can do if he attacks more, he told the Chicago Tribune.

“I definitely believe in them,” Rose said of his teammates. “But I want to see what I can do if I take the double-team on. I saw what the double-team did the last two games. My passing the ball the majority of the time really isn’t working. Or we’re not running the right play to get people open. We went over the plays and play calls (Monday). (Tuesday), I have to be way more aggressive….

“That’s not me,” Rose said. “I’m thinking too much, trying to get the ball out of my hands so that my teammates can make plays. … I have to change my mindset right now. Usually when I come out, I see how the defense is playing me. They’ve been double-teaming me the whole time, especially in pick-and-roll. The big (man) stays up until I get the ball out of my hands.

“Starting (Tuesday), from beginning to end, I have to be way more aggressive. I have to find a way. I don’t know how I’m going to do it. But I have to search out the opportunity and go for it.”

Rose sounds like Tom Thibodeau coached the last game — like a guy desperately looking for answers. The Heat’s athletes on defense have made the offense of “Derrick Rose and the Rosettes” not work. As great as Rose is at finding seams, the Heat’s defense has great athletes who can cut those seams off.

The Bulls got a good game from Carlos Boozer with 26 points last outing, but they need more. They need someone to knock down threes and make the Heat pay for packing the lane with people to stop Rose. Maybe a more aggressive Rose can bring that out of his teammates.

Or maybe it plays into the hands of the Heat.

1. Milton Galfas - May 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Why doesn’t he try being more inteligient. It was a huge mistake for the NBA to make a child the MVP placing him ahead of much better players. He is shooting 31% and had 3 assists in the last game. Not really even good enough stats to let him stay in the game unless the Bulls are that bad of a team. Wake up Rose and learn the game. It is not about your body but your mind in theplayoffs.

2. king7key - May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

At this point in the seires I don’t care who become more aggressive. Somebody needs to step it up. I don’t wanna lose to Heat. I would’ve rather not make the playoffs then lose to these (insert Noah comment heat fan )!!!!

3. edweird0 - May 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM

@miami4allday hahaha word son.

4. cam3420 - May 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM

all i know is that if the bulls do lose next year they are gnna be scary dangerous if they upgrade there number two spot or they might jus get dwight howard im pretty sure ive seen dwight howard shut down bosh in the paint and he never is gnna give lebron an easy drive and layup

• miami4allday - May 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Last week Monday these Bulls fans were all on here talking crap after one game. I could maybe understand though. Most of them who were on here probably are just fans and have no idea how to truly disect a game. First off, IT WAS ONLY ONE GAME!! Secondly anyone with somewhat of a BasketBall IQ would have known that the chances of the Bulls Grabbing 19 offensive and more importantly converting those into 31 points would be slim to none in the following games. Third, Wade and Lebron both had poor shooting games, yes partly due to the good defense of the bulls. However, it all boils down to this. These are two great defenses, but Miami has three players who can consistently create shots their own, unlike the bulls who only has one, ROSE

5. chitownmatt - May 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I don’t know if it will solve the Bulls problems, but it sure will be fun to watch.

More important will be whether Asik’s ankle is alright, as he is the only one that can manhandle Bosh; and whether Loul Deng remembers to wear his contact lenses so he can see the basket.

6. torotrigger - May 24, 2011 at 2:06 PM

doesnt matter what Drose “vows” to do when they have a a double-team on his ass the second he steps inside the arc. Wade and Bron are going to be shading to whatever side he steps and IF he starts forcing up those midrange fade-aways, again, its going to be the same result. a fat L.

if the bulls stand a chance of winning (and they dont) they need monster games outta of the 75-million dollar man and the homophobe. still aint gonna happen. Heat are just getting better and better. and better. and better.

series over – bring on the Mavs baby!

7. mannyfresh209 - May 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

are these comments relating to the series, or game 4 alone? cuz we all this series is done son

• king7key - May 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I admit the Bulls appear confused in this series…but to say its over shows your confused too. Seven Pound yourself. Will Smith

8. coltsfanindc - May 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM

king4key,

so if the Bulls lose to a bunch of beeeotches as u put it, what would that make the Bulls?? and ur never feline about speaking ur mind…., r u one of many 100s of thousands trying to be another rapper or do u just speak like that on the reg?

9. coltsfanindc - May 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Seven Pound yourself?? for real?? You can’t be over 25 lol

• king7key - May 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM

You gone hate you did that colts fan in DC. Everytime you think about pressing key and writing anything im clowning ya! On my mama! stepson. Once im done with you…your gone hop on I-95 go as fast as your car will go. Close your eyes and let go of the wheel.

First off…I see your ignorance comes in abundance in conjuction with the fact that your dad is a low-life. Since you know nothing about the hood. Rappers in your precieved communication is proverbial. I know that you tend to struggle with how I relay words and because of this you should think before you speak.

Now back to the hood sh**….next time you speak out of turn, stop, think, delete, and by the way do us all a favor…delete your life.

10. edweird0 - May 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM

@ hahaha you’re a trolling fool who needs to go pray for the bulls tonight, son!

11. coltsfanindc - May 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Lol!!! Thanks for the confirmation. You’re younger than 25. Talk to me when you spend your $$ on mortgages, health insurance, and CDs(no not as in the compact discs u probably make your lame demos on) instead of new kicks, chrome rims, and hotel room @ the Super 8 because your cracked out mommy doesnt allow you to bring girls home.

regret coming at you.., I’m laughing at you little man

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches