May 24, 2011, 8:26 AM EDT
For the second time in a year, the Portland Trail Blazers have fired a general manager. For the second time in a year it’s because of a personality clash with the owner Paul Allen and upper management.
Because newly fired Rich Cho had a good reputation around the league — he had been the No. 2 man in Oklahoma City — as did Kevin Pritchard before him, there are a lot of fingers being pointed at the very top of the Blazers. As if the egos have run amok and there is no adult there anymore to check them.
Blazers President Larry Miller says it’s not like that. That’s what he told Ben Golliver of CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“I think the big issue was chemistry between him and the owner,” Blazers president Larry Miller told CBSSports.com. “They were just never able to click. Rich is a smart guy, a really nice guy, brings some talents to the table but I think if the chemistry isn’t right, it’s hard for it to work….
“There wasn’t an incident,” Miller maintained. “I think we learned from last year, that sometimes it’s better when you know something, to move sooner than later. If we know this is not going to work, let’s not drag it out. Let’s not put it off, let’s just go ahead and move on it now.”
The question is, who is going to have chemistry with the owner? Does the owner and management really know what they want?
With two well respected guys let go, the best and brightest are going to have serious questions about autonomy and direction of the team. The best are going to have serious questions about this situation and the stability in the front office. They may well look elsewhere.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23