May 24, 2011, 8:26 AM EDT
For the second time in a year, the Portland Trail Blazers have fired a general manager. For the second time in a year it’s because of a personality clash with the owner Paul Allen and upper management.
Because newly fired Rich Cho had a good reputation around the league — he had been the No. 2 man in Oklahoma City — as did Kevin Pritchard before him, there are a lot of fingers being pointed at the very top of the Blazers. As if the egos have run amok and there is no adult there anymore to check them.
Blazers President Larry Miller says it’s not like that. That’s what he told Ben Golliver of CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“I think the big issue was chemistry between him and the owner,” Blazers president Larry Miller told CBSSports.com. “They were just never able to click. Rich is a smart guy, a really nice guy, brings some talents to the table but I think if the chemistry isn’t right, it’s hard for it to work….
“There wasn’t an incident,” Miller maintained. “I think we learned from last year, that sometimes it’s better when you know something, to move sooner than later. If we know this is not going to work, let’s not drag it out. Let’s not put it off, let’s just go ahead and move on it now.”
The question is, who is going to have chemistry with the owner? Does the owner and management really know what they want?
With two well respected guys let go, the best and brightest are going to have serious questions about autonomy and direction of the team. The best are going to have serious questions about this situation and the stability in the front office. They may well look elsewhere.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31