May 24, 2011, 8:26 AM EST
For the second time in a year, the Portland Trail Blazers have fired a general manager. For the second time in a year it’s because of a personality clash with the owner Paul Allen and upper management.
Because newly fired Rich Cho had a good reputation around the league — he had been the No. 2 man in Oklahoma City — as did Kevin Pritchard before him, there are a lot of fingers being pointed at the very top of the Blazers. As if the egos have run amok and there is no adult there anymore to check them.
Blazers President Larry Miller says it’s not like that. That’s what he told Ben Golliver of CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“I think the big issue was chemistry between him and the owner,” Blazers president Larry Miller told CBSSports.com. “They were just never able to click. Rich is a smart guy, a really nice guy, brings some talents to the table but I think if the chemistry isn’t right, it’s hard for it to work….
“There wasn’t an incident,” Miller maintained. “I think we learned from last year, that sometimes it’s better when you know something, to move sooner than later. If we know this is not going to work, let’s not drag it out. Let’s not put it off, let’s just go ahead and move on it now.”
The question is, who is going to have chemistry with the owner? Does the owner and management really know what they want?
With two well respected guys let go, the best and brightest are going to have serious questions about autonomy and direction of the team. The best are going to have serious questions about this situation and the stability in the front office. They may well look elsewhere.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14