May 24, 2011, 8:26 AM EDT
For the second time in a year, the Portland Trail Blazers have fired a general manager. For the second time in a year it’s because of a personality clash with the owner Paul Allen and upper management.
Because newly fired Rich Cho had a good reputation around the league — he had been the No. 2 man in Oklahoma City — as did Kevin Pritchard before him, there are a lot of fingers being pointed at the very top of the Blazers. As if the egos have run amok and there is no adult there anymore to check them.
Blazers President Larry Miller says it’s not like that. That’s what he told Ben Golliver of CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“I think the big issue was chemistry between him and the owner,” Blazers president Larry Miller told CBSSports.com. “They were just never able to click. Rich is a smart guy, a really nice guy, brings some talents to the table but I think if the chemistry isn’t right, it’s hard for it to work….
“There wasn’t an incident,” Miller maintained. “I think we learned from last year, that sometimes it’s better when you know something, to move sooner than later. If we know this is not going to work, let’s not drag it out. Let’s not put it off, let’s just go ahead and move on it now.”
The question is, who is going to have chemistry with the owner? Does the owner and management really know what they want?
With two well respected guys let go, the best and brightest are going to have serious questions about autonomy and direction of the team. The best are going to have serious questions about this situation and the stability in the front office. They may well look elsewhere.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 17
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 30
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85