Rose’s statement denying he said PEDS are problem in NBA

May 23, 2011, 8:17 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Three Getty Images

The note had actually been available for more than a week in ESPN The Magazine, but nobody had really noticed the controversial statement. Read into that what you want about ESPN the Magazine (even ESPN reporters did not know or follow up).

But finally somebody noticed and Sunday morning news started to spread quickly —NBA MVP Derrick Rose said the NBA had a “huge” issue with performance enhancing drugs. He said the problem was a 7 on a scale of 1-to-10.

But quickly Rose shot the story down, and by game time had released a statement saying basically he did not say that, reports Aggrey Sam of CSN Chicago.

“Regarding the quote attributed to me in ‘ESPN The Magazine,’ I do not recall making the statement nor do I recall the question being asked,” Rose said in a statement released by the Bulls. “If that was my response to any question, I clearly misunderstood what was asked of me. But, let me be clear, I do not believe there is a performance enhancing drug problem in the NBA.”

The NBA does do drug testing and a couple of current players — Rashard Lewis and O.J. Mayo — have missed games due to suspensions for use of PEDs in recent years. But the consensus around the league is there is not a culture of PED use and it is not a problem. That is a sentiment echoed by players, coaches, front office, the players union and even David Stern.

1. Kansachusetts - May 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Well if “the consensus around the league” is OK with it, then I’m sure there’s nothing to see here. Carry on people.

2. Kansachusetts - May 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I’m sure Dwight Howard shares that consensus too.

3. 78deville - May 23, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Well, the theory that the planet is warming is based on consensus. Why should PED use be based on science?

• ezwriter69 - May 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Yes, a consensus of, you know, those scientist guys, by a ratio of well over 100:1, but don’t let that bother your dittohead preconceptions… after all, they’re part of ack-uh-dee-mee-uh, and we know how unethical and political those dweebs are, Rush told ya so so it must be true.

4. chargerdillon - May 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Maybe Rose should’ve taken some PED’s rather than choking in the playoffs

5. nfl25 - May 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM

you guys do realize that when u go to the gym and c guys all jacked up, that 755 of them use roids. who cares

• nfl25 - May 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM

75% not 755

6. zblott - May 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM

All the facts laid out, including a picture of Dwight Howard when he was 40 pounds lighter:

Handing out NBA's postseason awards