May 23, 2011, 8:06 PM EDT
I was on a talk radio show in Miami today, where they should be celebrating the fact that their team seems to be taking control of their series against the Bulls.
And what was one of the big topics of the day? Charles Barkley flipping the bird to some Heat fans.
I linked to the video (via the Miami Herald) in our Monday Morning Links (language not safe for work) and figured it was just an interesting little oddity. Now it has blown up to a full-fledged discussion topic. Because there are not better ones out there, I guess.
Remember that Charles Barkley has been ripping the Heat for most of the season and recently called them a “whiney bunch.” TNT was broadcasting live from Game 3 with a studio setup outside AmericanAirlines Arena when a group of Heat fans started chanting “f—- you Chuck.”
After 20 seconds or so of this (on the video, we don’t know what else) Barkley flipped off the fans behind him. Who then cheered. Then threw some things at him. Which crossed the line. Again, here is the link to the video, it is NSFW.
According to our man Ira Winderman with the Sun Sentinel, TNT is now taking their studio show inside the arena for Tuesday’s game. We’ll see if that helps, it’s a more controlled environment but some of the things said to Joakim Noah that led to his response and fine were over the line should have had that person tossed from the arena.
“It was great to hear; it was great to see, for my fans, to stick up for us,” he said. “And, at one point, Chuck got a little frustrated with it. Good for them.”
And Barkley, well, he was vintage Barkley about it on WQAM radio (as quoted by the Sun Sentinel).
“They were telling me I suck,” he said. “They were telling me I never won a championship. Like, ‘Come on, give me something better than that, dude.’
“I always laugh at that statement, ‘You didn’t get a ring. ‘I’m like, dude, you work at McDonald’s. My life’s a lot better than yours. You relax.’ “
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70