May 23, 2011, 10:17 AM EDT
Manu Ginobili missed Game 1 of the San Antonio Spurs first round series against the Memphis Grizzlies with what was described as a sprained elbow (suffered in the last game of the season). When he returned he put up 20.6 points per game of 44.3 percent shooting, numbers very close to his regular season production.
And he may have done it all with broken arm.
That is what he told a paper in his native Argentina, according to the Express-News’ Spurs blog.
Ginobili told the Argentine website Noticiasmdq.com that he sustained asmall fracture of the right humerus, the long bone in the arm that runs from the shoulder to the elbow. The injury occurred in the final game of the regular season on April 13 when he was trapped in a collision between Tim Duncan and Phoenix’s Grant Hill….
Here’s what he told Argentine reporters (translation provided by ProjectSpurs.com).
“Last Wednesday, the medical staff of San Antonio I had the last MRI,” Ginobili said. “The liquid has been absorbed and small fracture in the humerus is welded at 85 percent. I have to be doing nothing for 3 weeks and then begin slowly.”
Ginobili took some grief after missing Game 1 from some quarters of Spurs nation, which was silly at the time considering all that Ginobili has played through (and done for the team in the past). He’s tough, to question that was shortsighted at best.
If he played through a broken arm, those people need to find a nice sized crow sandwich for lunch.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 1
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 7
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6