May 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
BYU star and Utah’s favorite son Jimmer Fredette would love to keep playing in Utah.
And Fredette thinks the people of Utah want that, too, he told the Deseret News (via CBS’ Eye on Basketball). And he’s probably right about that. Fredette also is more realistic about the chances of that happening than some Jazz fans will be.
“That’s what the people want,” Fredette said of being drafted by the Jazz. “But I don’t think (Jazz officials) should make the decision on what the people want. They ought to make a decision on what they think is best for their personnel. If I go there, it’s great. If not, I’ll be somewhere else. So I’m just looking forward to where it’s at.”
The Jazz are the hinge, the most interesting team in this draft. The Cavaliers will take Kyrie Irving No. 1 and whether it’s the Wolves or someone who trades into the No. 2 pick, they likely take Derrick Williams of Arizona.
The Jazz are at No. 3 and that’s where nobody has any idea who gets picked. Well, it won’t be Fredette, he is going to fall to the late lottery or farther. Could be Brandon Knight of Kentucky, could be Enes Kanter of Turkey, could be a lot of things at three.
The Jazz draft again at No. 12 and that is where a lot of fans think the Jazz will take Fredette. Utah officials liked his interview (by all accounts Fredette killed the interviews at the NBA Draft Combine last week). But it is more likely that Fredette will keep falling down the board. DraftExpress has the Jazz taking Colorado guard Alec Burkes at 12, and if Burkes is on the board that far down the Jazz have to take him. Indiana is a possibility at 15 but the guess is that is about the earliest he goes.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 18
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12