May 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
BYU star and Utah’s favorite son Jimmer Fredette would love to keep playing in Utah.
And Fredette thinks the people of Utah want that, too, he told the Deseret News (via CBS’ Eye on Basketball). And he’s probably right about that. Fredette also is more realistic about the chances of that happening than some Jazz fans will be.
“That’s what the people want,” Fredette said of being drafted by the Jazz. “But I don’t think (Jazz officials) should make the decision on what the people want. They ought to make a decision on what they think is best for their personnel. If I go there, it’s great. If not, I’ll be somewhere else. So I’m just looking forward to where it’s at.”
The Jazz are the hinge, the most interesting team in this draft. The Cavaliers will take Kyrie Irving No. 1 and whether it’s the Wolves or someone who trades into the No. 2 pick, they likely take Derrick Williams of Arizona.
The Jazz are at No. 3 and that’s where nobody has any idea who gets picked. Well, it won’t be Fredette, he is going to fall to the late lottery or farther. Could be Brandon Knight of Kentucky, could be Enes Kanter of Turkey, could be a lot of things at three.
The Jazz draft again at No. 12 and that is where a lot of fans think the Jazz will take Fredette. Utah officials liked his interview (by all accounts Fredette killed the interviews at the NBA Draft Combine last week). But it is more likely that Fredette will keep falling down the board. DraftExpress has the Jazz taking Colorado guard Alec Burkes at 12, and if Burkes is on the board that far down the Jazz have to take him. Indiana is a possibility at 15 but the guess is that is about the earliest he goes.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32