May 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Yahoo! Sports reports that former NBA player and current ESPN analyst Mark Jackson interviewed for the head coaching position for the Golden State Warriors shortly after Keith Smart was let go. Jackson may get another interview, though Mike Brown remains the leading candidate.
Jackson’s experience in… broadcasting certainly makes him an attractive candidate considering how he’s never been an assistant coach past his playing days and how often that works out well. Wait, no, that’s not right.
Jackson’s chances are pretty slim considering the number of experienced coaches with head coaching work, not just assistant coaching work on the market. There are a number of capable candidates available, so Jackson’s unlikely to land the gig.
However, in the spirit of exploration, here’s a list of possible techniques used by Jackson on the Warriors were he to get the job:
- Handcuffing Andris Biedrins to the rim in an effort to make sure he knows he can not leave that area.
- Teaching the Warriors, a systemic and personnel disaster defensively, to be an elite defense by saying “That’s just terrible defense” over and over again, without any adjustments or suggestions for improvement.
- Celebrating every Monta Ellis pull-up jumper by screaming “Great players make great plays!” followed by some sort of pun.
- When Stephen Curry expresses consternation at defending experience veterans, Jackson will simply repeat “Hand down, man down” at every turn, eventually driving Curry into a mental institute.
- Responding to every off-court issue by shaking his head and saying “You’re better than that.” No fine, no counseling, just a catchphrase and a head shake.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 14
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8