May 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports reports that former NBA player and current ESPN analyst Mark Jackson interviewed for the head coaching position for the Golden State Warriors shortly after Keith Smart was let go. Jackson may get another interview, though Mike Brown remains the leading candidate.
Jackson’s experience in… broadcasting certainly makes him an attractive candidate considering how he’s never been an assistant coach past his playing days and how often that works out well. Wait, no, that’s not right.
Jackson’s chances are pretty slim considering the number of experienced coaches with head coaching work, not just assistant coaching work on the market. There are a number of capable candidates available, so Jackson’s unlikely to land the gig.
However, in the spirit of exploration, here’s a list of possible techniques used by Jackson on the Warriors were he to get the job:
- Handcuffing Andris Biedrins to the rim in an effort to make sure he knows he can not leave that area.
- Teaching the Warriors, a systemic and personnel disaster defensively, to be an elite defense by saying “That’s just terrible defense” over and over again, without any adjustments or suggestions for improvement.
- Celebrating every Monta Ellis pull-up jumper by screaming “Great players make great plays!” followed by some sort of pun.
- When Stephen Curry expresses consternation at defending experience veterans, Jackson will simply repeat “Hand down, man down” at every turn, eventually driving Curry into a mental institute.
- Responding to every off-court issue by shaking his head and saying “You’re better than that.” No fine, no counseling, just a catchphrase and a head shake.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 16
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 3
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 55
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6