May 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Yahoo! Sports reports that former NBA player and current ESPN analyst Mark Jackson interviewed for the head coaching position for the Golden State Warriors shortly after Keith Smart was let go. Jackson may get another interview, though Mike Brown remains the leading candidate.
Jackson’s experience in… broadcasting certainly makes him an attractive candidate considering how he’s never been an assistant coach past his playing days and how often that works out well. Wait, no, that’s not right.
Jackson’s chances are pretty slim considering the number of experienced coaches with head coaching work, not just assistant coaching work on the market. There are a number of capable candidates available, so Jackson’s unlikely to land the gig.
However, in the spirit of exploration, here’s a list of possible techniques used by Jackson on the Warriors were he to get the job:
- Handcuffing Andris Biedrins to the rim in an effort to make sure he knows he can not leave that area.
- Teaching the Warriors, a systemic and personnel disaster defensively, to be an elite defense by saying “That’s just terrible defense” over and over again, without any adjustments or suggestions for improvement.
- Celebrating every Monta Ellis pull-up jumper by screaming ”Great players make great plays!” followed by some sort of pun.
- When Stephen Curry expresses consternation at defending experience veterans, Jackson will simply repeat “Hand down, man down” at every turn, eventually driving Curry into a mental institute.
- Responding to every off-court issue by shaking his head and saying “You’re better than that.” No fine, no counseling, just a catchphrase and a head shake.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)