May 20, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Stromile Swift, the nine-year NBA veteran for the Grizzlies among others who has been out of the league two years, was arrested for allegedly stalking an ex-girlfriend, according to KTBS television in Shreveport, La.
Shreveport police said they arrested the 31-year-old Swift about 9:40 p.m. Thursday after officers were called to a domestic dispute on the west side of the city. Police said a woman told them she had been arguing with Swift and he was following her in a vehicle as she tried to get away from him.
Patrol officers got a description of the vehicle and eventually arrested Swift without incident in the 3300 block of Ivy Lane. Police said they found a shotgun and a handgun in Swift’s vehicle.
Swift was arrested back in February on charges of aggravated assault with the same woman. So, he has some issues here.
Swift was the second pick overall in 2000 by the then Vancouver Grizzlies out of LSU. He signed as a free agent with the Rockets but eventually was traded to Memphis with Rudy Gay for Shane Battier (and also played for the Nets and Suns for stints). He was a solid player for some time, a nice rotation guy who never could live down where he was drafted. He was a good defender, could hit the midrange and had athletic skills, but he seemed to float in and out of games mentally (and loved to roam on defense). After his offensive skills slipped to the point he couldn’t get an NBA job he played in China.
But his issues now are much bigger than that.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 5
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 23
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 66
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36