May 20, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Stromile Swift, the nine-year NBA veteran for the Grizzlies among others who has been out of the league two years, was arrested for allegedly stalking an ex-girlfriend, according to KTBS television in Shreveport, La.
Shreveport police said they arrested the 31-year-old Swift about 9:40 p.m. Thursday after officers were called to a domestic dispute on the west side of the city. Police said a woman told them she had been arguing with Swift and he was following her in a vehicle as she tried to get away from him.
Patrol officers got a description of the vehicle and eventually arrested Swift without incident in the 3300 block of Ivy Lane. Police said they found a shotgun and a handgun in Swift’s vehicle.
Swift was arrested back in February on charges of aggravated assault with the same woman. So, he has some issues here.
Swift was the second pick overall in 2000 by the then Vancouver Grizzlies out of LSU. He signed as a free agent with the Rockets but eventually was traded to Memphis with Rudy Gay for Shane Battier (and also played for the Nets and Suns for stints). He was a solid player for some time, a nice rotation guy who never could live down where he was drafted. He was a good defender, could hit the midrange and had athletic skills, but he seemed to float in and out of games mentally (and loved to roam on defense). After his offensive skills slipped to the point he couldn’t get an NBA job he played in China.
But his issues now are much bigger than that.
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 8
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 5
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3