May 20, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Pretty much every talent evaluator, general manager and coach not in the playoffs is in Chicago right now for the NBA’s Draft Combine.
Not the Piston’s embattled coach John Kuester. Which seems to speak volumes to his status with the franchise.
But Kuester told the Detroit News he will be running individual workouts heading up to the draft. Those will start over the next few weeks, giving teams considering a player a closer look at what he can do.
That certainly doesn’t mean his status with the team is safe, especially once the sale of the Pistons to Tom Gores goes through. But the sale of a team is a tedious, long process and draft preparations cannot wait. So Kuester will be around, but likely have little if any input in who the Pistons select.
The Pistons have picks No. 8 and 33 in the draft.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40