May 20, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Pretty much every talent evaluator, general manager and coach not in the playoffs is in Chicago right now for the NBA’s Draft Combine.
Not the Piston’s embattled coach John Kuester. Which seems to speak volumes to his status with the franchise.
But Kuester told the Detroit News he will be running individual workouts heading up to the draft. Those will start over the next few weeks, giving teams considering a player a closer look at what he can do.
That certainly doesn’t mean his status with the team is safe, especially once the sale of the Pistons to Tom Gores goes through. But the sale of a team is a tedious, long process and draft preparations cannot wait. So Kuester will be around, but likely have little if any input in who the Pistons select.
The Pistons have picks No. 8 and 33 in the draft.
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 0
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 1
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 12
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 10
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 52