May 20, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Pretty much every talent evaluator, general manager and coach not in the playoffs is in Chicago right now for the NBA’s Draft Combine.
Not the Piston’s embattled coach John Kuester. Which seems to speak volumes to his status with the franchise.
But Kuester told the Detroit News he will be running individual workouts heading up to the draft. Those will start over the next few weeks, giving teams considering a player a closer look at what he can do.
That certainly doesn’t mean his status with the team is safe, especially once the sale of the Pistons to Tom Gores goes through. But the sale of a team is a tedious, long process and draft preparations cannot wait. So Kuester will be around, but likely have little if any input in who the Pistons select.
The Pistons have picks No. 8 and 33 in the draft.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11