May 20, 2011, 8:45 PM EST
There will be an NBA Draft on June 23, when the hopes and dreams of franchises will be pinned on teenagers. Teams will pump up their new players, fans will become excited…
And then the lockout.
And those rookies are not sure what is going to happen.
That’s what they told the Associated Press during the recent NBA Draft Combine that ended Friday in Chicago.
“We know for sure there’s a lockout,” San Diego State forward Kawhi Leonard said Friday. “Nobody knows right now how far it will go or what’s really going to happen. I’m just staying focused on myself and try to get better.”
“Right now you’re just thinking about getting drafted and getting on a team.” said (Florida’s Chandler) Parsons, projected as a second-round pick. “It all depends on what situation you’re in – when you get picked, where you get picked, what that organization wants you to do and what your agent wants you to do.
“I’m going to have to sit down with my agent and decide what to do – where to work out, where to live and how to live. It’s going to be a different experience.”
It’s going to be interesting, during the lockout teams are not going to be able to have contact with their draft picks. Some will workout, work on their game, get better. Some will remain the same. And some… well, character and work ethic may matter more in this draft than any in recent memory.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 1
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)