May 20, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
Irving said he was “strongly considering” playing for the Australian national team this summer. Australia will be trying to qualify for the 2012 Olympics
Irving owns dual citizenship so… nope, can’t do it.
Givony points out that Irving played for Team USA last summer (not in Turkey at the FIBA World Championships but in other major FIBA sanctioned events).
FIBA regulations (which mimic FIFA soccer and other international sports regulations) state that once you play for a country in an official FIBA event after your 17th birthday, you are committed to that country for the rest of your playing days. Irving was 18 when he played last summer.
Irving will be playing only for Team USA in the future when it comes to international basketball. Sorry kid, those are the rules.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 25
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9