May 19, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Here’s the report, courtesy of Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
CHICAGO – Kevin McHale met with Golden State executives Larry Riley and Bob Myers to discuss the Warriors’ head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Sources called the meeting “informal” and it could turn into a more serious sit-down later with team executives and ownership.
Also, the Warriors are flying Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank to the Bay Area for an interview on Saturday, sources said.
Ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown is still the leader to be offered the job, several sources told Yahoo! Sports.
McHale has a more serious second interview with Houston Rockets officials scheduled for later Thursday at the NBA draft combine. He’s one of three finalists for the Rockets’ coaching job, along with Frank and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey.
I suppose it’s good that the Warriors are leaving no stone unturned, but Mike Brown would be a much better fit for the Warriors than McHale in my opinion. The Warriors desperately need a coach who can instill them with a defensive mentality, and Mike Brown has a history of doing that, whereas McHale does not as a head coach.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29