May 19, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Here’s the report, courtesy of Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
CHICAGO – Kevin McHale met with Golden State executives Larry Riley and Bob Myers to discuss the Warriors’ head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Sources called the meeting “informal” and it could turn into a more serious sit-down later with team executives and ownership.
Also, the Warriors are flying Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank to the Bay Area for an interview on Saturday, sources said.
Ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown is still the leader to be offered the job, several sources told Yahoo! Sports.
McHale has a more serious second interview with Houston Rockets officials scheduled for later Thursday at the NBA draft combine. He’s one of three finalists for the Rockets’ coaching job, along with Frank and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey.
I suppose it’s good that the Warriors are leaving no stone unturned, but Mike Brown would be a much better fit for the Warriors than McHale in my opinion. The Warriors desperately need a coach who can instill them with a defensive mentality, and Mike Brown has a history of doing that, whereas McHale does not as a head coach.
- Thursday NBA grades: Don’t make Mike Dunleavy angry 0
- Rockets don’t bring the energy, so Bulls bring the pain in securing a 24-point blowout victory 5
- Interesting stat: Teams score better in crunch time when they don’t call timeout 12
- Blake Griffin with as powerful a putback dunk as you’ll see (VIDEO) 12
- PBT Podcast: What is with the slumps of Miami, Indiana? Plus of course Phil Jackson talk. 5