May 19, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Here’s the report, courtesy of Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
CHICAGO – Kevin McHale met with Golden State executives Larry Riley and Bob Myers to discuss the Warriors’ head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Sources called the meeting “informal” and it could turn into a more serious sit-down later with team executives and ownership.
Also, the Warriors are flying Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank to the Bay Area for an interview on Saturday, sources said.
Ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown is still the leader to be offered the job, several sources told Yahoo! Sports.
McHale has a more serious second interview with Houston Rockets officials scheduled for later Thursday at the NBA draft combine. He’s one of three finalists for the Rockets’ coaching job, along with Frank and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey.
I suppose it’s good that the Warriors are leaving no stone unturned, but Mike Brown would be a much better fit for the Warriors than McHale in my opinion. The Warriors desperately need a coach who can instill them with a defensive mentality, and Mike Brown has a history of doing that, whereas McHale does not as a head coach.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 52
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6