May 19, 2011, 8:11 PM EST
Here’s the report, courtesy of Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
CHICAGO – Kevin McHale met with Golden State executives Larry Riley and Bob Myers to discuss the Warriors’ head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Sources called the meeting “informal” and it could turn into a more serious sit-down later with team executives and ownership.
Also, the Warriors are flying Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank to the Bay Area for an interview on Saturday, sources said.
Ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown is still the leader to be offered the job, several sources told Yahoo! Sports.
McHale has a more serious second interview with Houston Rockets officials scheduled for later Thursday at the NBA draft combine. He’s one of three finalists for the Rockets’ coaching job, along with Frank and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey.
I suppose it’s good that the Warriors are leaving no stone unturned, but Mike Brown would be a much better fit for the Warriors than McHale in my opinion. The Warriors desperately need a coach who can instill them with a defensive mentality, and Mike Brown has a history of doing that, whereas McHale does not as a head coach.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20