May 19, 2011, 10:10 AM EDT
About that plan for Shaquille O’Neal to retire….
It’s been the assumption in Boston that Shaq would retire and GM Danny Ainge said on his radio show recently he basically expects it.
But Ainge and the Celtics signed Shaq to a two-year deal with the player having the option for the second year. It’s Shaq’s call, not the Celtics. And his mother told the New Orleans Times-Picayune she thinks he may well return.
“He went there to help them win a championship, and they didn’t do that this year,’’ Lucille said. “It bothered him so much that he could not play. He felt like he let the Boston team down and the community down, so I could believe he’s going back to Boston. He’s not in a place to be traded or anything like that.’’
Shaq did not play a regular season game from February through the end of the season. In the second round of the playoffs against the Heat he tried to give it a go, he played 17 minutes across two games, and that left him limping and unable to continue. His body is just not going to put up with the grind of the NBA season again.
But it’s up to him. And it will not be easy for him to walk away.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 2
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49