May 19, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
It makes a lot of sense for the Timberwolves to be shopping the No. 2 pick in the draft, which makes the numerous reports it is happening easy to believe. That pick is either going to be Derrick Williams — a likely four who maybe can play the three — or now-rising Turkish power forward Enes Kanter. The Timberwolves have Kevin Love, they don’t need a power forward. And they don’t need another young project player, they need some stable veteran leadership.
The Minnesota Timberwolves are shopping the #2 pick, but it sounds like they’re asking for a lot in return.
As they should. You don’t start by asking for what you will settle for, you start by asking for the moon.
Pacers are ones making seriously play for No. 2. Granger is being mentioned. So are Rubio and Beasley.
That would be pretty monster. And interesting, apparently Minnesota would get the perimeter threat they want in Granger — a former All-Star who was on the FIBA World Championship team with Love — and Indiana would get Rubio and Williams, two good blocks to start a rebuilding process.
That is just a rumor, and it is the start of the draft day rumor season. There will be a lot more. But look for Minnesota to so something with that No. 2 pick.
(By the way, yes teams can make draft-day trades under the current collective bargaining agreement, which will be in place on draft day and for another week after. However, teams cannot sign draft picks until the new CBA is in place.)
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13