May 19, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
And the NBA draft combine continues its evolution into the NFL combine. Complete with the top players not really doing anything.
Kyrie Irving, the presumptive No. 1 overall pick out of Duke, will skip all the athletic testing and drills at the NBA Combine, according to a tweet from ESPN’s Chad Ford. That combine is taking place now and for the next few days in Chicago (and can be seen on ESPNU and NBA TV).
This is new for the NBA. Guys have skipped out on the drills done on Thursday but John Wall did the Friday athletic testing, as did Blake Griffin a couple years ago. But the best players not risking their draft status and only working out in very controlled environments for teams is a staple of the NFL draft process and you’re starting to see that more and more in the NBA. As much as the agents can control that, anyway.
It’s not going to matter, in this draft Irving should go No. 1 and Cleveland wants a point guard. So it’s done, basically.
But expect the trend of top prospects skipping the drills to grow, if the NFL combine is any example.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP