Hey Cleveland, Derrick Williams is happy to be your new LeBron

May 19, 2011, 2:23 PM EST

Derrick Williams AP

Kyrie Irving took the smart, humble path — he told Clevelanders not to compare him to LeBron James.

Arizona’s Derrick Williams — the only guy who could potentially knock Irving out of the top spot in the draft — is not so mild mannered.

He wants to bring his star power to you, Cleveland, as he said in a statement reported by the Arizona Republic.

“I think I’m the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think,” the small forward said. “I’m just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they’re missing. That missing piece. I think that’s me.”

Just for the record, Williams is not near the star LeBron was coming into the draft. And he’s not now nor will ever be the player LeBron is. Sorry, but it’s the truth. Williams has fantastic athletic gifts and likely will be a good four on a team that likes to go small and run. Maybe he’s a three, some scouts think that can work.

But he’s not LeBron.

1. jstrizzle - May 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM

“And he’s not now nor will ever be the player LeBron is. Sorry, but it’s the truth.”

No sense setting a ceiling on a player that hasn’t stepped foot on an NBA court. Kobe was drafted 13th overall and now has 5 rings. I am sure archived somewhere is a reporter saying Kobe Bryant will never compare to Kerry Kittles drafted 8th in the same draft.

• snoopy2014 - May 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

That’s a little different. Kurt’s not comparing Williams to another player in the draft, he’s comparing him to a 2-time MVP, a very established player, and one many believe is the best in the NBA today (in a golden era of great stars). So kinda apples and orange.

I haven’t seen Williams play. What’s his game like? Tweener like Beasley?

• jstrizzle - May 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Well from what I have read/saw he seemed like more of a tweener last year but this year came back with added muscle and decent range on his jump shot (shot 50+% from college 3). At 6’8″ He has to be a SF at the next level though. He is insanely athletic too.

It was apples an oranges (Kobe and Kittles). I was simply trying to bring to light that Kurt was limiting his potential before he has even played. I should have brought up how Kobe gets compared to Jordan. Frankly, I don’t like comparisons anyway. There will never be a next Magic, Jordan, Bird, etc.

2. sknut - May 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

As a Wolves fan I think he said it because he doesn’t want to come to Minny.

3. pl4tinum514 - May 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I’d take him over Kyrie Irving, I just don’t see it with Irving.

4. supermattbjorke - May 19, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Sknut i agree 100% if i was him i would be trying hard to get cleveland to take him with the #1. Im from mn and a #twolves fan. He would be in a bad rotation if he was with MN.

5. Colin Zvosec - May 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM

He can build himself up all he wants, Kyrie is getting taken #1. If Williams is there at 4, that’s the only way he ends up playing for the Cavs.

6. snoopy2014 - May 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM

jstrizzle – Yeah, I agree. Comparisons are usually just used to pigeonhole players, when instead we should focus on what they bring to the table and not what they don’t.

7. ljl2 - May 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM

While LeBron was a star, if you take an objective look at his game when he was coming into the draft the only difference MIGHT be the willingness to pass. That’s coming into the draft, afterwards would be impressive if Williams come close…but this wouldn’t even be a discussion if it weren’t for this….

• ljl2 - May 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the other difference from when they were entering the draft (and an argument could be made for a difference still) – Derrick Williams has a solid jump-shot and can shoot from 3 with great consistency.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches