May 19, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
Arizona’s Derrick Williams — the only guy who could potentially knock Irving out of the top spot in the draft — is not so mild mannered.
He wants to bring his star power to you, Cleveland, as he said in a statement reported by the Arizona Republic.
“I think I’m the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think,” the small forward said. “I’m just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they’re missing. That missing piece. I think that’s me.”
Just for the record, Williams is not near the star LeBron was coming into the draft. And he’s not now nor will ever be the player LeBron is. Sorry, but it’s the truth. Williams has fantastic athletic gifts and likely will be a good four on a team that likes to go small and run. Maybe he’s a three, some scouts think that can work.
But he’s not LeBron.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14