May 19, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
Arizona’s Derrick Williams — the only guy who could potentially knock Irving out of the top spot in the draft — is not so mild mannered.
He wants to bring his star power to you, Cleveland, as he said in a statement reported by the Arizona Republic.
“I think I’m the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think,” the small forward said. “I’m just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they’re missing. That missing piece. I think that’s me.”
Just for the record, Williams is not near the star LeBron was coming into the draft. And he’s not now nor will ever be the player LeBron is. Sorry, but it’s the truth. Williams has fantastic athletic gifts and likely will be a good four on a team that likes to go small and run. Maybe he’s a three, some scouts think that can work.
But he’s not LeBron.
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 2
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54