May 19, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
Arizona’s Derrick Williams — the only guy who could potentially knock Irving out of the top spot in the draft — is not so mild mannered.
He wants to bring his star power to you, Cleveland, as he said in a statement reported by the Arizona Republic.
“I think I’m the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think,” the small forward said. “I’m just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they’re missing. That missing piece. I think that’s me.”
Just for the record, Williams is not near the star LeBron was coming into the draft. And he’s not now nor will ever be the player LeBron is. Sorry, but it’s the truth. Williams has fantastic athletic gifts and likely will be a good four on a team that likes to go small and run. Maybe he’s a three, some scouts think that can work.
But he’s not LeBron.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6