May 19, 2011, 2:23 PM EST
Arizona’s Derrick Williams — the only guy who could potentially knock Irving out of the top spot in the draft — is not so mild mannered.
He wants to bring his star power to you, Cleveland, as he said in a statement reported by the Arizona Republic.
“I think I’m the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think,” the small forward said. “I’m just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they’re missing. That missing piece. I think that’s me.”
Just for the record, Williams is not near the star LeBron was coming into the draft. And he’s not now nor will ever be the player LeBron is. Sorry, but it’s the truth. Williams has fantastic athletic gifts and likely will be a good four on a team that likes to go small and run. Maybe he’s a three, some scouts think that can work.
But he’s not LeBron.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13