Dennis Rodman reminisces about time in Chicago

May 19, 2011, 8:12 AM EDT

Dennis Rodman talks during the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Announcement of the Class of 2011 in Houston Reuters

Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman (man, does it feel good to type that) is back in Chicago for the final episodes of the Oprah Winfrey show. No, we’re not kidding.

He took some time out to reminisce about his time with the Bulls, something captured by CSN Chicago. As you can see the video below, he sounds relatively humbled by all the attention and adoration.

“This is the second time I’ve been here in 14 years. It brings back some memories, but it’s not for me now. It’s for those guys out there,” said the newly-turned 50-year-old. “You guys [in Chicago] have been very good to me.”

Rodman likes these new Bulls by the way. And you had to know Rodman is the one guy who could appreciate what Joakim Noah brings to the table.

1. metalhead65 - May 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM

dear god why are we still talking about this freak? he did anything and everything to keep his name in the spotlight and the press ate it up but you are still talking about him? he had ro be the luckiest man alive to play for the winning teams he did. he did one thing well and that was rebound and for that gets in the hof?last time I checked there was more to the game than that. it amazes me he gets so much credit when other guys who do one thing well like score are always bashed by critics. how well did he do in with the spurs when not surrounded by superstar players like he had with the pistons and bulls? he is no rebel he just used an imaged that got him plenty of pub and ran with it. look back at the stories about him when he first came into the league and there was none of the outlandish behavior he displayed later when he became this the freak show he is still using to get press today.

• memphismiracle - May 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM

You must be the cameraman he kicked in the balls. You have my condolences.

• davidly - May 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Dear God,

I’m going to do you the honor of using capitals and commas this time so that maybe you’ll be able to understand my senseless rambling. Since I clearly don’t no much about the game of basketball as it relates to the player in question, I’ve just heard that he won some rebounding titles. Big deal. Maybe you can enlighten me?

Love,

Meathead

• davidly - May 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Okay, metalhead65. I have to apoligize. I don’t think my most recent reply to your reply is fair. People come to complain about “a story even being a story to begin with” all the time. And I don’t suppose it has to be ironic to do so.

So allow me a moment to take on the gist of your accusation: That “this freak” was nothing but that; and a good rebounder.

If it’s numbers you’re after, that’s fairly easy. True, he only averaged seven points a game over the course of his career. Consider that they were well-chosen points: He was well over .500 shooting. When you factor in that the guy grabbed nearly five offensive rebounds per game (averaging only 30 minutes, mind you), his offensive output takes on new meaning.

But don’t take the numbers for themselves. What about those “winning teams” he was so lucky to play for? (This is a fact he always readily admits, by the way: how lucky he was to play with greats.)

Well ask them. Ask Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars who the best defender on their team was. Ask Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, both of whom are of the best defenders from their era, which Bull they could go to to cover anybody on the court.

While you’re at it, ask his opponents the same question. Ask Shaq who shut him down in the playoffs despite giving up five inches and the weight of a small animal. Ask Larry Bird or Kevin McHale or Magic Johnson or James Worthy who did more to disrupt their offense, effectively putting an end their respective dynasties.

So by all means, metalhead65, come to a blog and post your outrage that anyone is discussing “this freak” and use as little punctuation as you like. You would certainly not be alone in protesting his outlandish on and off the court antics. You wouldn’t be the only one to lament out loud at his uncalled for misbehavior. And it would be fair criticism.

But while you’re at it, consider that a HUGE reason why he is considered a freak is because he hustled for loose balls like no human who ever put on (or took off) a basketball jersey.

• SmackSaw - May 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM

The “Freak” is a HOF’er. That’s why.

2. metalhead65 - May 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM

gee thanks alot because that is the reason I come to sports blogs and that is to make sure I have someone make sure that everything I write is grammatically correct like I was still in school. you don’t like what I have to say that’s fine but I could care less that you don’t like the way I express it. you read it didn’t you? wait a min. if you are a fan of this freak why am I wasting time talking to you?

• davidly - May 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Gee, Thanks,

Thanks. Still, I am not sure that that was the answer I was looking for. Then again, I’m sure I’ve already wasted too much of the gods of the sports blog’s precious time to bother with the pesky details. And I can’t help but wonder if my coming here in the first place to complain about the mere presence of that which I was coming here in the first place to complain about might be a tell.

Love,

Metal4Brains

• mytthor - May 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Well I’ll tell you like I used to tell my students – not being an idiot doesn’t matter unless you can manage to not sound like an idiot. If you were talking and slurring all your words together and saying the wrong word, you wouldn’t expect to be listened to seriously, so why do people do the same with writing? No one’s jumping on you for one typo or something.

Luckily, your actual content perfectly conveys your idiocy. Best rebounder and best post defender of his era despite being 6’7’? Yeah why would he get in the hall of fame? But you’re right, he did have a couple bad seasons when he was past his prime. Guess we should keep Jordan out of the hall too. Give me a break. The fact that if you had to go against Shaq you wanted this guy guarding him at his size should close the case right there.

• dgforreal - Aug 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM

“Couldn’t” care less.

3. shorttracknews - May 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM

27 dislikes and 1 like (which I’m sure is from you) tells the tale of the tape Metalhead. But we don’t agree with you so you’re just wasting your time.

4. rajbais - May 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Dennis Rodman!!!

No one will ever match what he did on and “off” the court!!!

5. rajbais - May 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Dennis Rodman!!!

No one will ever match what he did on AND off the court!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches