May 18, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Clearly, Minnesota GM David Kahn did not love getting the No. 2 pick in the draft.
Can’t really blame him (question how he handled it, what he said, but not the natural reaction of being frustrated). Duke point guard Kyrie Irving made a lot of sense for the Wolves (despite all their other PGs, none of the ones on the roster are as good as Irving and Ricky Rubio is still a year or more away), but consensus No. 2 pick Derrick Williams out of Arizona does not. Williams is a combo forward, but he’s not about to supplant Kevin Love at the four, and then there is Michael Beasley at the three. This was not a need position for the Timberwolves.
So they are willing to trade the pick, according to Chad Ford at ESPN.
I’m already hearing from sources that Minnesota has told people it’s very open to moving the second pick. Kahn really wants to add some veteran help to the team.
That would be a smart move (for the right deal). Veteran help at a position of need would make a lot more sense than drafting Williams for Minnesota. If it happens, this is the kind of trade that happens on draft day June 23, but it’s something to watch for. For the right deal I can see the Wolves pulling the trigger.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'