May 18, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
In a surprise to everyone around the NBA, Gary Hall, the lead attorney of the NBA’s player union and one of the negotiators for the organization, has died unexpectedly.
Hall, 67, apparently died of natural causes on Sunday, according to Bloomberg news.
“Gary worked tirelessly to build the NBPA and to champion the rights of its players,” NBA Commissioner David Stern said in an e-mailed statement. “Gary contributed greatly to the growth of basketball and the NBA on a global basis.”
Hall had been and would have been in the future a key part of the union’s negotiating team. He was a longtime friend of union executive director Billy Hunter.
At the draft lottery, the NBA’s lead negotiator Adam Silver said more intensive negotiations between the union and owners are planned in June, in whatever city hosts the Western Conference half of the finals.
The two sides met last Friday, and Hall had been part of that negotiations.
So far the negotiations are not making much headway, Silver told the New York Times.
“It would be hard to point to substantive progress in terms of the issues, but I think there is a sense that we are coming together in terms of a common understanding where the N.B.A. finds itself,” Silver said. “I think we have agreed to disagree on multiple ways to reach that end and more than happy to discuss alternatives.”
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final