May 18, 2011, 7:27 PM EDT
Here’s the story, courtesy of CBS.com’s Ken Berger:
CHICAGO – Mike Brown finds the Warriors head coaching job “intriguing,” according to a person who said Wednesday the former Cavaliers coach has had conversations with Golden State officials about the opening.
Brown, who was fired after last season despite averaging 54 wins over five seasons in Cleveland, has yet to formally interview with Warriors owner Joe Lacob, sources said. Also in the mix to replace Keith Smart as Warriors coach are Lakers assistants Brian Shaw and Chuck Person, Celtics assistant Lawrence Frank, and Hornets assistant Michael Malone, according to sources. The search is expected to gain momentum in the coming days.
Brown, a former San Antonio assistant, has always been known for putting an emphasis on good defense and rebounding, and transformed the Cavaliers from one of the worst defensive teams in the league to one of the best during his tenure as head coach. Brown was often criticized for a lack of offensive creativity, but the Cavaliers were one of the best offensive teams in the league during the former Coach of the Year’s final two seasons with the club.
The Warriors could desperately use some kind of defensive mentality — the team finished 29th in defensive efficiency last season, and dead last in rebounding rate. The Warriors may not have defensive players as good as LeBron James or Anderson Varejao on their current roster, but defense may be worth giving a try anyways. As fun as the Ellis/Curry Warriors have been over the last two seasons, it’s clear that the Warriors’ all-offense style is no longer yielding results for them.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4