Kendrick Perkins does not like Tyson Chandler

May 18, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT

perkinsthunder

Kendrick Perkins is something of a throwback player. In addition to being perhaps the best post defender in the NBA, Perkins is what some might call an “enforcer.” He gets the most out of each one of his fouls, is the admitted master of the moving screen that doesn’t look like a moving screen, never, ever smiles on the court, and isn’t afraid to get into a confrontation with somebody that doesn’t like his physical brand of play.

In the Western Conference Finals, Perkins is lined up against Mavericks Center Tyson Chandler, who is also a banger, and the two only took 70 seconds to get into each other’s faces in game one, resulting in a double-technical. After the game, Perkins confirmed that he has something against Chandler:

“Me and Tyson never got along. I’m serious,” said Perkins, whom the Thunder acquired in a trade deadline deal with the Boston Celtics. “He don’t like me, I don’t like him and that’s pretty much how it’s been. Everybody always looks at me as kind of like a dirty player if you’re on the opposite team, but he’s just as dirty as anybody else.”

Chandler, for his part, seems to just want to play basketball:

“I have nothing against him,” Chandler said of Perkins. “He won a championship with the Boston Celtics, and that’s where I’m trying to take my team. I mean, I’ve got respect for him, what he was able to accomplish. But all the chippy stuff, the after-the-ball stuff, that’s all nonsense and I’m not going to get involved with it.”

Both Chandler and Perkins gave their team a much-needed injection of interior defense and physicality after they were acquired in the off-season and at the deadline, respectively. Now they’re going up against each other in the conference finals, and their battle in the trenches may end up being nearly as important as what Nowitzki and Durant end up doing. Well, maybe not nearly as important. But still pretty important. And there’s some bad blood behind it as well. The battle between the two centers will be something to watch as this series continues to play out.

1. andrejohnsonforpresident - May 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Thank god for this. I’m so sick of all this friendly hoo ha on the court. I’d rather see dirty technical’s and hidden moving screens. Get the blood flowing and represent your teams colors out there. Every team should take these pages out of bostons book. Might get ya somewhere in the playoffs. I mean everyone is going or the same thing right? A Ring so ACT LIKE IT!!

• mchris1947 - May 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Boston’s playbook won them one title in the last 22 years. Not sure that’s a track record to follow.

2. jjared1101 - May 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM

“Me and Tyson never got along. I’m serious,”

—————-

I guess i wasn’t aware they were ever on the same team or something. I’ve never heard of any history of them going against each other in some sort of battle save for this years playoffs. Seems like Perkins is trying to start a war of words and Chandler is taking the high road.

3. jstrizzle - May 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

“In addition to being perhaps the best post defender in the NBA”

This is where you lost me. Good? Sure. Great? Sure. Best? Nah

• pepesmith88 - May 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM

agreed.

what happened to dwight howard? I thought he won defensive player of the year award

4. volcom2143 - May 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I’m so sick of this Kendrick Perkins talk . He’s so overrated . The celts wouldn’t have won with or without him . And the thunder won’t either because of dirk the white mamba . Perkins is a hot head who should of been ejected last night in the first quarter after picking up his second foul .

• memphismiracle - May 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I would have to agree with the idea of him being overrated. As a Grizzlies fan, we rooted for him to be in the game and hated it when Collison came in for him.

5. rajbais - May 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Finally, some pure hatred in the NBA!!!

The NBA acts overly dramatic to ALL negative things!!!

Hopefully, more things like this keep happening!!!

• aboogy123456 - May 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM

It’s not even pure hatred, Perkins is just trying to act tough because the media gives him so much credit for it, but you know he’s a teddy bear on the inside.

• denverhoopdreams - May 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I think you don’t watch the game at all.. because Perkins is a GIMMICK player, there are some players in the league that play more agressively, more dirty, and more hateful than Perkins by far… but they don’t come out in the media and act like a goon for a reason.

6. aboogy123456 - May 19, 2011 at 8:44 AM

With all the talk about Kendrick Perkins this year, he has become by far the most overrated player in the league. Sure, he is a solid post defender, which is hard to find these days, but that’s all he says. Not a great help defender, horrible offensively, and is just trying to play up his tough guy image with interviews like these. To say he is one of the best post defenders is ignorant, Tyson Chandler is a LOT better.

7. bleedgreen15 - May 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM

“In addition to being perhaps the best post defender in the NBA”

So we’re just going to disregard 3 time (so far) defensive player of the year Dwight Howard here?

8. grizzfan - May 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Perkins is a goon, he tries to look tough with his scowl but he ends up just looking like he is going to cry. The only thing he is “best” at is cheap shots to the throat.

9. snoopy2014 - May 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Perkins is smarter than he looks. He has very few true basketball-related skills, so he’s cultivated this image of being a true throwback hard-nosed player, and he’s convinced the media that scowling and getting technicals is a championship-ingredient “skill.”

I would love to see this guy get flattened.

10. denverhoopdreams - May 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I agree with a lot of people here, why the hell is Kendrick Perkins being talked about so much like he’s some kind of All-Star Center?!?!

I am getting sick of reading about how he hates every big man in the league except for Garnett. It seems like he’s always trying to get under someones skin but they always just come out saying “I don’t know where this drama comes from.” It’s just Perkins drama.

Additionally, sitting next to some Oklahoma fans during Game 3 of the OKC DEN series, most of Oklahoma dislike his as well.

11. donkeyball - May 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I agree that KP is overrated by many. His game is very limited (Kwame Brown is similar). He has to be “hard” and make people fear him. It’s all amout maximizing what he has.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches