May 18, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is still tweeting about a potential statue of him, and things have taken an interesting turn. Here’s a tweet the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer just sent out:
Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don’t hold your breath. Lakers don’t care about me.
Wow. Before that tweet, Abdul-Jabbar did note that Bill Russell took 40 years to get a statue, and Jerry West took 37 to get his, and that Abdul-Jabbar’s wait has “only” been 22 years, although he did add that Magic Johnson got his statue after only eight years. Kareem is continuing to tweet about this, does not appear to be joking, and is denying that his account has been hacked. We’ll keep you updated on this as it develops.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5