May 18, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is still tweeting about a potential statue of him, and things have taken an interesting turn. Here’s a tweet the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer just sent out:
Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don’t hold your breath. Lakers don’t care about me.
Wow. Before that tweet, Abdul-Jabbar did note that Bill Russell took 40 years to get a statue, and Jerry West took 37 to get his, and that Abdul-Jabbar’s wait has “only” been 22 years, although he did add that Magic Johnson got his statue after only eight years. Kareem is continuing to tweet about this, does not appear to be joking, and is denying that his account has been hacked. We’ll keep you updated on this as it develops.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)