May 18, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is still tweeting about a potential statue of him, and things have taken an interesting turn. Here’s a tweet the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer just sent out:
Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don’t hold your breath. Lakers don’t care about me.
Wow. Before that tweet, Abdul-Jabbar did note that Bill Russell took 40 years to get a statue, and Jerry West took 37 to get his, and that Abdul-Jabbar’s wait has “only” been 22 years, although he did add that Magic Johnson got his statue after only eight years. Kareem is continuing to tweet about this, does not appear to be joking, and is denying that his account has been hacked. We’ll keep you updated on this as it develops.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11