May 18, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is still tweeting about a potential statue of him, and things have taken an interesting turn. Here’s a tweet the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer just sent out:
Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don’t hold your breath. Lakers don’t care about me.
Wow. Before that tweet, Abdul-Jabbar did note that Bill Russell took 40 years to get a statue, and Jerry West took 37 to get his, and that Abdul-Jabbar’s wait has “only” been 22 years, although he did add that Magic Johnson got his statue after only eight years. Kareem is continuing to tweet about this, does not appear to be joking, and is denying that his account has been hacked. We’ll keep you updated on this as it develops.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65