May 18, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is still tweeting about a potential statue of him, and things have taken an interesting turn. Here’s a tweet the NBA’s All-Time leading scorer just sent out:
Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don’t hold your breath. Lakers don’t care about me.
Wow. Before that tweet, Abdul-Jabbar did note that Bill Russell took 40 years to get a statue, and Jerry West took 37 to get his, and that Abdul-Jabbar’s wait has “only” been 22 years, although he did add that Magic Johnson got his statue after only eight years. Kareem is continuing to tweet about this, does not appear to be joking, and is denying that his account has been hacked. We’ll keep you updated on this as it develops.
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 1
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 8
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 4