May 18, 2011, 8:27 PM EDT
48 points on 15 shots isn’t something that happens every day. You don’t need me to tell you that. But Alok Pattani of ESPN Stats and Info did some research, and he found out that Nowitzki’s performance in Game 1 was actually one of the best scoring nights in playoff history:
Dirk Nowitzki‘s 48-point game against the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals stood out not only because of the high point total, but because of the incredible efficiency with which he scored. He went 12-for-15 from the field and 24-for-24 from the free throw line in the Mavericks’ 121-112 victory in Dallas.
One way to measure overall scoring efficiency is to use true shooting percentage, which resembles field goal percentage but takes into account field goals, 3-pointers and free throws to give an overall measure of how efficiently a player scored his points…
…According to the Elias Sports Bureau, there have been more than 2,500 instances of a player in the shot clock era (since 1954-55) taking at least 25 true shot attempts in a playoff game. Among those games, Nowitzki’s 93.9 percent in Game 1 was the highest true shooting percentage, by far. Next closest was Vince Carter’s true shooting percentage of 82.5 from his 50-point game in the 2001 playoffs against the Philadelphia 76ers.
Not a whole lot I can add to that. Dirk was literally unstoppable in Game 1, and he single-handedly carried the Mavericks to victory with one of the most efficient high-volume scoring performances ever. I suppose the only thing resembling good news for Thunder fans is that Dirk would have to break his own record to actually have a better game throughout the rest of the series, but if Nowitzki keeps draining his unblockable baseline jumpers and getting to the free throw line at anywhere close to the rate he did in Game 1, the Western Conference Finals could end up being a short series.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31