May 18, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
Despite giving up 19 offensive rebounds in a Game 1 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Sunday, the Heat don’t plan to get any bigger for Game 2.
According to our own Ira Winderman, Zydrunas Ilgauskas has said that he will remain inactive and Erick Dampier will not dress for Game 2. Both players started a significant amount of games at center for the Heat this season, but Dampier has been inactive throughout the playoffs and Ilgauskas has been benched after being extremely ineffective throughout the first two rounds for the Heat. Jamaal Magloire, who Spoelstra called the team’s “best rebounder” earlier in the week, will be active for Game 2.
This means that Joel Anthony, Chris Bosh, LeBron James, and all the other Miami players who went through “rebounding 101” on Monday will have to keep the Heat from dominating them on the glass in Game 2. It can be done, but this is a gamble for Spoelstra and the Heat — if the Heat’s relatively small forwards can’t keep Joakim Noah and Co. off the boards in Game 2, they could easily go back to Miami facing a 2-0 series hole.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'