May 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
The Knicks weren’t in the lottery for the first time since 2007 (the second of two picks yielded to Chicago in the Eddy Curry trade), but the results of the drawing could set up an opportunity for them.
For one, the Cavaliers certainly have to strongly consider taking Duke point guard Kyrie Irving with the first overall pick. Irving is widely regarded as the top player in what many scouts and team executives are calling an extremely shallow draft. The Cavs already have Davis, whom they traded for last season, and yet also have Ramon Sessions. If they take Irving, you’d have to expect Sessions would be available.
Mike D’Antoni has wanted Sessions since 2009, when he was a restricted free agent. The 25 year old point guard is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina — yes, the same place where D’Antoni’s brother, Knicks assistant coach Dan D’Antoni, coached high school ball — and both D’Antoni’s feel Sessions would be a perfect fit in this offense.
Sessions, a slashing, score-first guard with a shaky jump shot, had an up-and-down year for the Cavaliers, but he showed some flashes of serious productivity throughout the year. Before the Cavaliers acquired Baron Davis, Sessions was playing extremely well — the 25-year old averaged 19.9 points and 8.8 assists on 56.3% shooting in February.
Sessions’ defense was largely non-existent last season, but that’s never been a huge concern for D’Antoni, and Sessions could provide a tempo boost to a Knicks team that suddenly doesn’t feature many speedy guards on its roster. The Cavs now have some serious options after getting the #1 and #4 pick in the draft — this could be one they end up taking a serious look at.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 5
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 18
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 53
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65