May 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
The Knicks weren’t in the lottery for the first time since 2007 (the second of two picks yielded to Chicago in the Eddy Curry trade), but the results of the drawing could set up an opportunity for them.
For one, the Cavaliers certainly have to strongly consider taking Duke point guard Kyrie Irving with the first overall pick. Irving is widely regarded as the top player in what many scouts and team executives are calling an extremely shallow draft. The Cavs already have Davis, whom they traded for last season, and yet also have Ramon Sessions. If they take Irving, you’d have to expect Sessions would be available.
Mike D’Antoni has wanted Sessions since 2009, when he was a restricted free agent. The 25 year old point guard is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina — yes, the same place where D’Antoni’s brother, Knicks assistant coach Dan D’Antoni, coached high school ball — and both D’Antoni’s feel Sessions would be a perfect fit in this offense.
Sessions, a slashing, score-first guard with a shaky jump shot, had an up-and-down year for the Cavaliers, but he showed some flashes of serious productivity throughout the year. Before the Cavaliers acquired Baron Davis, Sessions was playing extremely well — the 25-year old averaged 19.9 points and 8.8 assists on 56.3% shooting in February.
Sessions’ defense was largely non-existent last season, but that’s never been a huge concern for D’Antoni, and Sessions could provide a tempo boost to a Knicks team that suddenly doesn’t feature many speedy guards on its roster. The Cavs now have some serious options after getting the #1 and #4 pick in the draft — this could be one they end up taking a serious look at.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18