May 17, 2011, 7:23 PM EST
The consensus is that Duke point guard Kyrie Irving will be the top pick in the draft.
That is, unless lightning strikes twice for the Washington Wizards.
Last season the Wizards won the lottery and drafted John Wall. Washington doesn’t need another point guard. So if lighting strikes twice the Wizards are going to go another direction. And no, not Turkish center Enes Kanter, according to a tweet from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
And as for the notion of the Wiz possibly taking Kanter No. 1 if they got the pick, I’m told they have Williams atop their board.
Derrick Williams is the athletic forward out of Arizona. He can run the floor and would be a good fit running the wing next to Wall (and the Wizards should run more next year, regardless).
There has been some talk of Kanter or someone else sliding up the draft board, but don’t bet on it. The only way Irving doesn’t go No. 1 is if that team doesn’t need a point guard and can’t trade out of the spot.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 11
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7