May 17, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
The consensus is that Duke point guard Kyrie Irving will be the top pick in the draft.
That is, unless lightning strikes twice for the Washington Wizards.
Last season the Wizards won the lottery and drafted John Wall. Washington doesn’t need another point guard. So if lighting strikes twice the Wizards are going to go another direction. And no, not Turkish center Enes Kanter, according to a tweet from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
And as for the notion of the Wiz possibly taking Kanter No. 1 if they got the pick, I’m told they have Williams atop their board.
Derrick Williams is the athletic forward out of Arizona. He can run the floor and would be a good fit running the wing next to Wall (and the Wizards should run more next year, regardless).
There has been some talk of Kanter or someone else sliding up the draft board, but don’t bet on it. The only way Irving doesn’t go No. 1 is if that team doesn’t need a point guard and can’t trade out of the spot.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6