May 17, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
The consensus is that Duke point guard Kyrie Irving will be the top pick in the draft.
That is, unless lightning strikes twice for the Washington Wizards.
Last season the Wizards won the lottery and drafted John Wall. Washington doesn’t need another point guard. So if lighting strikes twice the Wizards are going to go another direction. And no, not Turkish center Enes Kanter, according to a tweet from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
And as for the notion of the Wiz possibly taking Kanter No. 1 if they got the pick, I’m told they have Williams atop their board.
Derrick Williams is the athletic forward out of Arizona. He can run the floor and would be a good fit running the wing next to Wall (and the Wizards should run more next year, regardless).
There has been some talk of Kanter or someone else sliding up the draft board, but don’t bet on it. The only way Irving doesn’t go No. 1 is if that team doesn’t need a point guard and can’t trade out of the spot.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30