May 17, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
The consensus is that Duke point guard Kyrie Irving will be the top pick in the draft.
That is, unless lightning strikes twice for the Washington Wizards.
Last season the Wizards won the lottery and drafted John Wall. Washington doesn’t need another point guard. So if lighting strikes twice the Wizards are going to go another direction. And no, not Turkish center Enes Kanter, according to a tweet from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
And as for the notion of the Wiz possibly taking Kanter No. 1 if they got the pick, I’m told they have Williams atop their board.
Derrick Williams is the athletic forward out of Arizona. He can run the floor and would be a good fit running the wing next to Wall (and the Wizards should run more next year, regardless).
There has been some talk of Kanter or someone else sliding up the draft board, but don’t bet on it. The only way Irving doesn’t go No. 1 is if that team doesn’t need a point guard and can’t trade out of the spot.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10