May 17, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
The consensus is that Duke point guard Kyrie Irving will be the top pick in the draft.
That is, unless lightning strikes twice for the Washington Wizards.
Last season the Wizards won the lottery and drafted John Wall. Washington doesn’t need another point guard. So if lighting strikes twice the Wizards are going to go another direction. And no, not Turkish center Enes Kanter, according to a tweet from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
And as for the notion of the Wiz possibly taking Kanter No. 1 if they got the pick, I’m told they have Williams atop their board.
Derrick Williams is the athletic forward out of Arizona. He can run the floor and would be a good fit running the wing next to Wall (and the Wizards should run more next year, regardless).
There has been some talk of Kanter or someone else sliding up the draft board, but don’t bet on it. The only way Irving doesn’t go No. 1 is if that team doesn’t need a point guard and can’t trade out of the spot.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32