May 17, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Apparently, despite getting the team into the playoffs and being able to spin a basketball on a toothbrush are not enough to impress Larry Bird.
Frank Vogel, the interim coach who did a good job with the Indiana Pacers this season, will have competition from Mike Brown and Rick Adelman for the head-coaching job, according to the Associated Press.
Bird, the team president, said Vogel would get the first and last interviews for the Pacers job. Vogel was 20-18 as an interim coach, enough to get the Pacers into the playoffs, where they played the Bulls close but fell in five games.
Brown is a former Pacers assistant coach who was the head coach in Cleveland for the last few years of the LeBron James era. He is a defense-first guy who led the team to more than 60 wins the last two seasons and was the 2009 NBA coach of the year. But he also comes with questions about the simplicity of his offensive sets and questions about how good he can be without LeBron.
Rick Adelman was not brought back by the Houston Rockets after last season but is a 20-year NBA veteran who has coached some very good teams in Portland and Sacramento.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay