May 17, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT
It defies all logic, but there has become a “the Grizzlies should trade Rudy Gay” movement.
The theory goes that since they won their first playoff game ever, their first playoff series ever and pushed the Oklahoma City Thunder to seven games while he was out injured that they are better off without him. I’m not sure supporters of this actually watched the games — you don’t think the Grizzlies needed more offense from the wing? Really? — but it’s out there, with published reports Gay was on the block for the right deal.
Grizzlies’ owner Michael Heisley is shooting that down now, in no uncertain terms, calling Geoff Calkins at the Commercial Appeal and asking him to kill tis rumor now.
“Would you please make it clear that we’re not trading Rudy Gay?”
You’re not? But I keep hearing all these NBA types say that you might well trade him.
“I know,” said Heisley. “And, quite frankly, it (ticks) me off. I think it’s cruel to the guy. He died during this period. That’s how much he wanted to play. And to now have to hear that we’re trading him? There’s nothing more untrue than that…
“Let me tell you something,” said Heisley. “No disrespect to Oklahoma City, but if we had had Rudy Gay, we would have won the bleepity-bleep series going away. I really believe that.”
Last series the Thunder essentially layed off Tony Allen and they begged Sam Young to shoot from the outside. All the talk is how the Grizzlies need shooters (and they do). Gay hit 39.6 percent from three last season and 39 percent on shots from 16-23 feet. He knocks down those outside shots. He can create his own shots on the perimeter, something Memphis needed in the playoffs. He scored 19.8 points per game this season for a reason.
We’ve disagreed about Heisley on plenty of things, but he is spot on here.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47