Memphis Grizzlies owner: “We’re not trading Rudy Gay”

May 17, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT

Rudy Gay AP

It defies all logic, but there has become a “the Grizzlies should trade Rudy Gay” movement.

The theory goes that since they won their first playoff game ever, their first playoff series ever and pushed the Oklahoma City Thunder to seven games while he was out injured that they are better off without him. I’m not sure supporters of this actually watched the games — you don’t think the Grizzlies needed more offense from the wing? Really? — but it’s out there, with published reports Gay was on the block for the right deal.

Grizzlies’ owner Michael Heisley is shooting that down now, in no uncertain terms, calling Geoff Calkins at the Commercial Appeal and asking him to kill tis rumor now.

“Would you please make it clear that we’re not trading Rudy Gay?”

You’re not? But I keep hearing all these NBA types say that you might well trade him.

“I know,” said Heisley. “And, quite frankly, it (ticks) me off. I think it’s cruel to the guy. He died during this period. That’s how much he wanted to play. And to now have to hear that we’re trading him? There’s nothing more untrue than that…

“Let me tell you something,” said Heisley. “No disrespect to Oklahoma City, but if we had had Rudy Gay, we would have won the bleepity-bleep series going away. I really believe that.”

Last series the Thunder essentially layed off Tony Allen and they begged Sam Young to shoot from the outside. All the talk is how the Grizzlies need shooters (and they do). Gay hit 39.6 percent from three last season and 39 percent on shots from 16-23 feet. He knocks down those outside shots. He can create his own shots on the perimeter, something Memphis needed in the playoffs. He scored 19.8 points per game this season for a reason.

We’ve disagreed about Heisley on plenty of things, but he is spot on here.

1. sknut - May 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM

“I think it’s cruel to the guy. He died during this period.” -Pretty much kills any trade value doesn’t it?

• pl4tinum514 - May 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Should have written “died inside” or something. He’s going to have alot to prove next year and I think he’ll be even better for it, and so will the Grizzlies. I like the core they’ve built.

2. jallenmorris - May 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM

As a Thunder fan from OKC, I can’t disagree that the Grizz would have likely won this series against us if Gay had never been hurt. BUT, at the same time, can you really tell me the Grizz would have been a mere #8 seed if Gay had never been hurt? No way! This team played like a #2-#5 seed team, not a #8 that is just happy to make the playoffs. And the Grizz aren’t going anywhere. They’re going to be a very good team for quite a while.

3. 00maltliquor - May 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM

That would be monumentally stupid if they traded Rudy Gay. He is the missing link and just like Hiesley said, “they would’ve won that mother******g series” had Gay been present and 100%. They will be extra nice next year barring further injury.

4. mum2twoandahalf - May 29, 2011 at 10:02 AM

i think the grizz played better than a 8 seed but that team will lose some production from tony & sam if not one or the other because rudy needs the ball in his hands to be productive.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches