May 17, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
All 14 teams with a chance to win tonight’s NBA Draft lottery will be sending a representative to the drawing in Seacaucus, just like they do every year.
This season, however, the lottery will have an unusual guest — former Duke point guard and projected #1 pick Kyrie Irving. According to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, Irving will be attending the lottery with Jeff Wechsler, his agent.
Irving is projected to be the #1 pick, but he’s not as much of a lock as John Wall or Blake Griffin were in years past, and some teams, like the Wizards, would probably pass on Irving if they got the #1 pick. In that spirit, this could be a way for Irving to convince whatever team wins the lottery to pick him, and may end up being a good career move for him down the line. Or maybe the Austrailian-born Irving just couldn’t pass up the chance to spend some time in Seacaucus. Tonight’s draft lottery is scheduled for 8:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury