May 17, 2011, 5:03 PM EST
Ever since “The Decision,” the Miami Heat have been seen by many as the league’s biggest villains. However, Charles Barkley, who was no stranger to controversy as a player, thinks that the Heat have made things harder on themselves with the public by playing up an “us against the world” mentality too much this season:
“[The Heat players] say [the people in the media] don’t like the Miami Heat. First of all, that’s not true at all,” Barkley said. “Those guys are actually a whiny bunch. They said a couple times this year, ‘Well the world is happy the Miami Heat [is losing].’ Please don’t flatter yourself. C’mon man.
“We criticize [James] because of ‘The Decision.’ But nobody dislikes LeBron James. LeBron James is a good dude. But I love, ‘The Miami Heat is losing, the world is happy.’ First of all, nobody is thinking about the Miami Heat. You guys are good guys. You’re the guys who came out and said, ‘We’re not going to win 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 championships.’ We’re like, ‘Really.’ They never take any personal responsibility to why people take shots at them.”
“If LeBron had just said, ‘Hey, you know what, I want to win more, I’m going to Miami.’ Nobody would have disliked that,” Barkley said. “I don’t know what that thing was when they came out on stage and said they were going to win seven championships.
“Those are the two things that annoyed people, but nobody dislikes Dwyane and LeBron and Chris Bosh. All three are good guys and terrific players.”
The Heat currently trail the Chicago Bulls by a game in the Eastern Conference Finals. If they lose on Wednesday and find themselves in a 2-0 hole to the team with the best record in the regular season, the Heat may not be around to criticize or praise for much longer anyways.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 13
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11