May 17, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Ever since “The Decision,” the Miami Heat have been seen by many as the league’s biggest villains. However, Charles Barkley, who was no stranger to controversy as a player, thinks that the Heat have made things harder on themselves with the public by playing up an “us against the world” mentality too much this season:
“[The Heat players] say [the people in the media] don’t like the Miami Heat. First of all, that’s not true at all,” Barkley said. “Those guys are actually a whiny bunch. They said a couple times this year, ‘Well the world is happy the Miami Heat [is losing].’ Please don’t flatter yourself. C’mon man.
“We criticize [James] because of ‘The Decision.’ But nobody dislikes LeBron James. LeBron James is a good dude. But I love, ‘The Miami Heat is losing, the world is happy.’ First of all, nobody is thinking about the Miami Heat. You guys are good guys. You’re the guys who came out and said, ‘We’re not going to win 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 championships.’ We’re like, ‘Really.’ They never take any personal responsibility to why people take shots at them.”
“If LeBron had just said, ‘Hey, you know what, I want to win more, I’m going to Miami.’ Nobody would have disliked that,” Barkley said. “I don’t know what that thing was when they came out on stage and said they were going to win seven championships.
“Those are the two things that annoyed people, but nobody dislikes Dwyane and LeBron and Chris Bosh. All three are good guys and terrific players.”
The Heat currently trail the Chicago Bulls by a game in the Eastern Conference Finals. If they lose on Wednesday and find themselves in a 2-0 hole to the team with the best record in the regular season, the Heat may not be around to criticize or praise for much longer anyways.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18