May 17, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Ever since “The Decision,” the Miami Heat have been seen by many as the league’s biggest villains. However, Charles Barkley, who was no stranger to controversy as a player, thinks that the Heat have made things harder on themselves with the public by playing up an “us against the world” mentality too much this season:
“[The Heat players] say [the people in the media] don’t like the Miami Heat. First of all, that’s not true at all,” Barkley said. “Those guys are actually a whiny bunch. They said a couple times this year, ‘Well the world is happy the Miami Heat [is losing].’ Please don’t flatter yourself. C’mon man.
“We criticize [James] because of ‘The Decision.’ But nobody dislikes LeBron James. LeBron James is a good dude. But I love, ‘The Miami Heat is losing, the world is happy.’ First of all, nobody is thinking about the Miami Heat. You guys are good guys. You’re the guys who came out and said, ‘We’re not going to win 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 championships.’ We’re like, ‘Really.’ They never take any personal responsibility to why people take shots at them.”
“If LeBron had just said, ‘Hey, you know what, I want to win more, I’m going to Miami.’ Nobody would have disliked that,” Barkley said. “I don’t know what that thing was when they came out on stage and said they were going to win seven championships.
“Those are the two things that annoyed people, but nobody dislikes Dwyane and LeBron and Chris Bosh. All three are good guys and terrific players.”
The Heat currently trail the Chicago Bulls by a game in the Eastern Conference Finals. If they lose on Wednesday and find themselves in a 2-0 hole to the team with the best record in the regular season, the Heat may not be around to criticize or praise for much longer anyways.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48