May 17, 2011, 5:03 PM EST
Ever since “The Decision,” the Miami Heat have been seen by many as the league’s biggest villains. However, Charles Barkley, who was no stranger to controversy as a player, thinks that the Heat have made things harder on themselves with the public by playing up an “us against the world” mentality too much this season:
“[The Heat players] say [the people in the media] don’t like the Miami Heat. First of all, that’s not true at all,” Barkley said. “Those guys are actually a whiny bunch. They said a couple times this year, ‘Well the world is happy the Miami Heat [is losing].’ Please don’t flatter yourself. C’mon man.
“We criticize [James] because of ‘The Decision.’ But nobody dislikes LeBron James. LeBron James is a good dude. But I love, ‘The Miami Heat is losing, the world is happy.’ First of all, nobody is thinking about the Miami Heat. You guys are good guys. You’re the guys who came out and said, ‘We’re not going to win 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 championships.’ We’re like, ‘Really.’ They never take any personal responsibility to why people take shots at them.”
“If LeBron had just said, ‘Hey, you know what, I want to win more, I’m going to Miami.’ Nobody would have disliked that,” Barkley said. “I don’t know what that thing was when they came out on stage and said they were going to win seven championships.
“Those are the two things that annoyed people, but nobody dislikes Dwyane and LeBron and Chris Bosh. All three are good guys and terrific players.”
The Heat currently trail the Chicago Bulls by a game in the Eastern Conference Finals. If they lose on Wednesday and find themselves in a 2-0 hole to the team with the best record in the regular season, the Heat may not be around to criticize or praise for much longer anyways.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)