May 16, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT
The Memphis Grizzlies did not have a great Sunday, with their fun run of a season coming to an end.
But no Griz player had a worse Friday than Sam Young.
First, for Game 6 Young lost his starting job to O.J. Mayo. Coach Lionel Hollins had seen the Thunder adjust and slow Zach Randolph, and he needed to find more scoring, so in went Mayo. (It worked, the spacing Mayo helped create was key to the Grizzlies Game 6 win.)
According to a Memphis Police report, Young’s Chevy Camaro was stolen while he visited a walk-up ATM at South Main and Peabody Place. Witnesses saw a man with dreads drive away.
Police say the car thief might not have “scored” if Young had not left his car running.
Fortunately for Young, GM vehicles like his come equipped with the On-Star communications and security system. Police used it to track Young’s Camaro to the 1400 block of Breedlove in North Memphis. It was found unoccupied before being returned to the basketball star.
Lost his starting job and had his car stolen on the same day — Friday the 13th.
Young is owed some luck soon. Karma will balance out.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80