May 16, 2011, 1:55 PM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies did not have a great Sunday, with their fun run of a season coming to an end.
But no Griz player had a worse Friday than Sam Young.
First, for Game 6 Young lost his starting job to O.J. Mayo. Coach Lionel Hollins had seen the Thunder adjust and slow Zach Randolph, and he needed to find more scoring, so in went Mayo. (It worked, the spacing Mayo helped create was key to the Grizzlies Game 6 win.)
According to a Memphis Police report, Young’s Chevy Camaro was stolen while he visited a walk-up ATM at South Main and Peabody Place. Witnesses saw a man with dreads drive away.
Police say the car thief might not have “scored” if Young had not left his car running.
Fortunately for Young, GM vehicles like his come equipped with the On-Star communications and security system. Police used it to track Young’s Camaro to the 1400 block of Breedlove in North Memphis. It was found unoccupied before being returned to the basketball star.
Lost his starting job and had his car stolen on the same day — Friday the 13th.
Young is owed some luck soon. Karma will balance out.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)