May 16, 2011, 1:55 PM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies did not have a great Sunday, with their fun run of a season coming to an end.
But no Griz player had a worse Friday than Sam Young.
First, for Game 6 Young lost his starting job to O.J. Mayo. Coach Lionel Hollins had seen the Thunder adjust and slow Zach Randolph, and he needed to find more scoring, so in went Mayo. (It worked, the spacing Mayo helped create was key to the Grizzlies Game 6 win.)
According to a Memphis Police report, Young’s Chevy Camaro was stolen while he visited a walk-up ATM at South Main and Peabody Place. Witnesses saw a man with dreads drive away.
Police say the car thief might not have “scored” if Young had not left his car running.
Fortunately for Young, GM vehicles like his come equipped with the On-Star communications and security system. Police used it to track Young’s Camaro to the 1400 block of Breedlove in North Memphis. It was found unoccupied before being returned to the basketball star.
Lost his starting job and had his car stolen on the same day — Friday the 13th.
Young is owed some luck soon. Karma will balance out.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 2
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 18
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13