May 16, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
Glen “Big Baby” Davis took some heat for his play at the end of the season. Coach Doc Rivers said that “scoring was too important to him” and that Davis needed to spend the offseason getting back to who he was — a grinder off the bench. Rebounding, defense and toughness.
Glen Davis is also an unrestricted free agent this summer (or after the lockout).
Combine those two things and you may see Davis in a uniform of a color other than green and white next season. Here is the other thing Rivers said Monday, as reported by Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston on twitter.
“If we can get him for the right price. I think it would be nice. But we can’t overpay.”
Boston has some serious rebuilding its future. Not next season (well, they do need to revamp the role players around the core) but down the line. Davis is a nice role player and can work well in Boston — the man is Shrek after all — but spending too much on contracts for role players is how teams get locked into rosters that don’t work. Just ask the Lakers. Davis made $3 million last season.
Still, it’s weird to picture Davis in a uniform that doesn’t say Celtics in block letters across the front. But we may get that picture soon enough.
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 2
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 15
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 23
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12