May 14, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
The Warriors’ head coaching gig is kind of an interesting mesh of issues. You’ve got a management that has pledged to provide a new coach with defensive personnel, but there’s still a roster full of guys who don’t fit that description. There’s certainly talent, but not necessarily a cohesive unit, and few experienced veterans. There’s Stephen Curry, but it’s unclear how his career is going to shape out. It’s a terrific, supportive fanbase, but it’s in a high-intensity market. The money should be great, but success in the short term is probably mitigated, and it’s rare for the coach who rebuilds a team to see them through to the promised land.
Which is why two coaching greats have elected to pass on the job.
CSN Bay Area reports that Jeff Van Gundy and Jerry Sloan both declined to interview for the Warriors’ head coaching position. Sloan declined under the “No, really, I retired and I’m done” umbrella (which is right next to the “Deron Williams killed my soul” raincoat), while Van Gundy reportedly declined because he’s still not looking to get into coaching. JVG’s name keeps popping up but never seems to really go anywhere, he hasn’t been seriously in consideration for a job in some time.
Mike Brown is considered by multiple outlets to be the front-runner for the job, which is an odd, if intriguing fit. Seeing Brown work with a team not handicapped by a megastar playing God with the franchise while the owner buckles to his will and then blames everyone else when it blows up could be interesting. Brown’s defensive coaching chops are legit, even if the offense could suffer (read: drive off a cliff) under him. We’ll keep you updated as the search continues.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85