May 14, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
The Warriors’ head coaching gig is kind of an interesting mesh of issues. You’ve got a management that has pledged to provide a new coach with defensive personnel, but there’s still a roster full of guys who don’t fit that description. There’s certainly talent, but not necessarily a cohesive unit, and few experienced veterans. There’s Stephen Curry, but it’s unclear how his career is going to shape out. It’s a terrific, supportive fanbase, but it’s in a high-intensity market. The money should be great, but success in the short term is probably mitigated, and it’s rare for the coach who rebuilds a team to see them through to the promised land.
Which is why two coaching greats have elected to pass on the job.
CSN Bay Area reports that Jeff Van Gundy and Jerry Sloan both declined to interview for the Warriors’ head coaching position. Sloan declined under the “No, really, I retired and I’m done” umbrella (which is right next to the “Deron Williams killed my soul” raincoat), while Van Gundy reportedly declined because he’s still not looking to get into coaching. JVG’s name keeps popping up but never seems to really go anywhere, he hasn’t been seriously in consideration for a job in some time.
Mike Brown is considered by multiple outlets to be the front-runner for the job, which is an odd, if intriguing fit. Seeing Brown work with a team not handicapped by a megastar playing God with the franchise while the owner buckles to his will and then blames everyone else when it blows up could be interesting. Brown’s defensive coaching chops are legit, even if the offense could suffer (read: drive off a cliff) under him. We’ll keep you updated as the search continues.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49