May 14, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
You conspiracy theorists who believe Tupac is alive, there was a guy on the grassy knoll and that aliens helped the Egyptians build the pyramids, you also believe LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade had it all mapped out two years ago. The Miami Heat master plan.
That’s not how it worked. It was the innocent musings of friends a few years back that took about 8 million things to fall in line for it to happen. And it almost didn’t.
Like, Dwyane Wade was almost a Chicago Bull. That’s what his agent Henry Thomas told ESPN.
“I think it was very close,” Thomas said. “We obviously — before the process started — we talked about how we were going to handle it. Once we began and once the presentations were made, the Bulls’ presentation was as good as any — if not better.
“The decision became a lot more difficult than he imagined how it would be. Obviously for him the Chicago one was special because he grew up here.”
Wade is going to get booed in his hometown Sunday night. And throughout this series. For all the charitable works he has done, for all his love of Chicago, he is the enemy for the next couple weeks.
“It doesn’t bother him… He understood after free agency last summer that the reception was different than the one he would receive in the past. He gets it. In some sense, it’s a sign of respect. He understands the kind of reception he gets now. He’s in another uniform.”
But it was oh, so close to Bulls’ uniform.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 5
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 21
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 40
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 46
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 37