May 14, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
You conspiracy theorists who believe Tupac is alive, there was a guy on the grassy knoll and that aliens helped the Egyptians build the pyramids, you also believe LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade had it all mapped out two years ago. The Miami Heat master plan.
That’s not how it worked. It was the innocent musings of friends a few years back that took about 8 million things to fall in line for it to happen. And it almost didn’t.
Like, Dwyane Wade was almost a Chicago Bull. That’s what his agent Henry Thomas told ESPN.
“I think it was very close,” Thomas said. “We obviously — before the process started — we talked about how we were going to handle it. Once we began and once the presentations were made, the Bulls’ presentation was as good as any — if not better.
“The decision became a lot more difficult than he imagined how it would be. Obviously for him the Chicago one was special because he grew up here.”
Wade is going to get booed in his hometown Sunday night. And throughout this series. For all the charitable works he has done, for all his love of Chicago, he is the enemy for the next couple weeks.
“It doesn’t bother him… He understood after free agency last summer that the reception was different than the one he would receive in the past. He gets it. In some sense, it’s a sign of respect. He understands the kind of reception he gets now. He’s in another uniform.”
But it was oh, so close to Bulls’ uniform.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 4
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 4
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13