Agent says Wade closer to being a Bull than you think

May 14, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT

Miami Heat v New Jersey Nets Getty Images

You conspiracy theorists who believe Tupac is alive, there was a guy on the grassy knoll and that aliens helped the Egyptians build the pyramids, you also believe LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade had it all mapped out two years ago. The Miami Heat master plan.

That’s not how it worked. It was the innocent musings of friends a few years back that took about 8 million things to fall in line for it to happen. And it almost didn’t.

Like, Dwyane Wade was almost a Chicago Bull. That’s what his agent Henry Thomas told ESPN.

“I think it was very close,” Thomas said. “We obviously — before the process started — we talked about how we were going to handle it. Once we began and once the presentations were made, the Bulls’ presentation was as good as any — if not better.

“The decision became a lot more difficult than he imagined how it would be. Obviously for him the Chicago one was special because he grew up here.”

Wade is going to get booed in his hometown Sunday night. And throughout this series. For all the charitable works he has done, for all his love of Chicago, he is the enemy for the next couple weeks.

“It doesn’t bother him… He understood after free agency last summer that the reception was different than the one he would receive in the past. He gets it. In some sense, it’s a sign of respect. He understands the kind of reception he gets now. He’s in another uniform.”

But it was oh, so close to Bulls’ uniform.

1. andrejohnsonforpresident - May 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM

All off-season I was calling for LJ to go to the bulls. Could you imagine Rose an James on the same team with a good portion of the bulls players and that defense they have?? Don’t get me wrong Miami is amazing at defense too but I like the bulls depth to Miamis all day. Plus in a year or two I wanna say Derrick Rose will be better than D-wade… If thats even possible haha.

• andrejohnsonforpresident - May 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Haha thats everyones normal response too. A verbal thumbs down

• purdueman - May 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM

andre… Wade has already reached his ceiling; Rose just turned 22. If you think that Rose won’t continue to grow and become a much bigger star than Wade, you’re an idiot and I’ve got some great beachfront land in South Florida that I want to sell to you; just bring cash… oh, and be sure to come at low tide too!

• scorp16 - May 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Beachfront land in South Florida? Really? I live in South Florida but not on the beach, but about 2 miles from it.

Give me your realtors number. Because if his logic is anything like yours ….. It”ll be a steal.

What you meant to say is beachfront property in Iowa? Maybe Arkansas? How about Arizona?

Wade was in the ECF at 23 yo…..was an NBA Champion and Finals MVP at 24.

What exactly is your point? That Rose is younger than Wade?
        Congratulations Einstein at figuring that out all by yourself.

Wade is just hitting his prime and will be playing at this level for the next 3 to 4 years. Rose needs to work alot at improving from his 43% shooting to even get a whiff.

• purdueman - May 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM

scorp: If you indeed live in South Florida and read my ENTIRE post, you’d see that I asked you to come at LOW TIDE. What that means (as Fred Sanford liked to say), you big dummy, is that at high tide the property is under water, just like the Heat will be before the end of the NBA playoffs!

Back in the day before “one and done-ers” became all the rage (did you know that their have been a record 69 collegiate players to declare for this years draft, although a small handful of them are actually seniors too), Rose just would have now been entering the draft as a graduating senior… that’s my point.

We’ve seen what Wade can do, and while he’s certainly earned All Star status, he’ll never have the natural speed that Rose had; you can’t teach that and you can’t learn that either. That’s my other point. I get defending your guy being obviously a Heat Honk though; nothing wrong with that.

As for Rose’s shooting percentage? I’ve watched him closely all year and there are times when even at 22 Rose simply runs out of gas; that’s evident when you see him start to labor putting up his perimeter shots. The Bulls realize that as a point guard he shouldn’t be taking so many shots in some games, but until the Bulls can land a legitimate 2 guard to shoulder the load, that’s just the way it is.

I look for the Bulls to sign FA to be Jamaal Crawford this offseason. With the emergence of Jeff Teague and what’s widely reported to be ownership cash concerns, Crawford is expendible, has ties to the Bulls (having been a former Bulls 1st round draft pick), and is the best of a bad lot of free agent guards in the upcoming crop.

• scorp16 - May 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM

So Wait…You actually own property that gets submerged at high tide?

And I’m the dummy?

Rose’s ceiling is Allen Iverson.

Let’s take a look at AI’s stats at a comparative point in his career

28 pts / 42% shooting / 4rb / 5a / 2 stls

VS

Rose’s 25 pts / 44% shooting / 4rb / 7.5 a / 1 stl

They are the same player. Just different systems. Different suppoting casts. Rose is the better defender Iverson the better scorer

Nobody is saying that the guy is not good, but to blatently state that Rose will become a bigger superstar than Wade at this stage is completely idiotic.

• purdueman - May 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM

scrorp… who said anything about me having had to pay for my beachfront land (at low tide only), in South Florida? Ever hear of homesteading? Land for free! Ever hear of inheriting property?

So you’re a stat geek? Good thing that we’re talking about the NBA Playoffs and not some pointless rotoleague where every game is played on paper, dude.

You conveniently choose to ignore the FACT that Rose is only 22 years old and already has one regular season MVP under his belt. Do you know how many league MVP’s Kobe has? Uh, that would be exactly one, same as Rose, and how many years has Kobe been in the league now?

How many league MVP’s does Wade have? Uh, that would be exactly ZERO! And he’s been in the league how many years now?

Since you’re so into stats and facts, here’s a list of league MVP’s. You’ll find Iverson, Rose and Bryant all have one; Wade has none:

1999–00 Shaquille O’Neal^ Center United States Los Angeles Lakers (7)
        2000–01 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers (6)
        2001–02 Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[d] San Antonio Spurs (2)
        2002–03 Tim Duncan^ (2) Forward/Center United States[d] San Antonio Spurs (3)
        2003–04 Kevin Garnett^ Forward United States Minnesota Timberwolves
        2004–05 Steve Nash^ Guard Canada Phoenix Suns (2)
        2005–06 Steve Nash^ (2) Guard Canada Phoenix Suns (3)
        2006–07 Dirk Nowitzki^ Forward Germany Dallas Mavericks
        2007–08 Kobe Bryant^ Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers (8)
        2008–09 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers
        2009–10 LeBron James^ (2) Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers (2)
        2010–11 Derrick Rose^ Guard United States Chicago Bulls (6)

• scorp16 - May 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM

So you actually had the foresight to lay claim to property that gets submerged at high tide?
        Or was it that your ancestors did and willed it to you, cause they thought that much of you?

MVP is a media driven award decided by writers with their own agendas. Congrats to Rose for being selected. That speaks nothing to actually winning a title or the overall body of work of players professional career.

By your logic Steve Nash is the best point guard of our generation…..AND….in Derek Rose’s third year…you have already put him on equal footing with Kobe Bryant……Really?….Really?

AND by the same faulty logic – you are admitting that LeBron is better than Rose?

• purdueman - May 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM

scorp… It’s not worth my time to argue with homers and idiots, so I’m not going to bother responding to your latest emotional rant, because you clearly can’t handle the truth!

• andrejohnsonforpresident - May 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

purdue did you even read what I said?? I was obviously saying rose will be better than wade imo and was trying to be nice about it.. Literally my entire post is talking about how I wanted james to go to the bulls because of rose and the bulls depth. Idiot

2. dvic13 - May 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I don’t hate that Wade didn’t come to the Bulls. I respect him more for staying loyal to the Heat. However, I don’t believe for a second that he was seriously considering the Bulls. Sure he visited, but u have to be courteous especially to the home town. I think him and Bosh decided to go with Heat early in the process, but still had to recruit Lebron.

• philtration - May 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

And James knew where he was going to go all along.
      He waited to say so and that gave Cleveland no chance of signing anyone to rebuild the team.

That was a punk move.

• purdueman - May 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM

phil… nice post! Anyone who thinks that La Bum will ever go down as being greater thane either Jordan or Kobe though is sadly delusional, because La Bum doesn’t have either of their drive to win nor their leadership skills. If you don’t believe me, just go back and watch the game film of La Bums last playoff game with Cleveland; he merely phoned it in.

• aqzi - May 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I agree somewhat. I think he did consider the Bulls, but not necessarily to the extent that his agent is suggesting. After all, his agent probably has a motive for coming out with this information, especially right before the Chicago series. My opinion? The agent is probably trying to minimize the unwelcoming behavior of Bulls fans so Wade feels more comfortable playing in Chicago.

3. purdueman - May 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Bulls fan or not, assuming that this story is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), it’s a real shame that Wade didn’t sign with Chicago. Had Chicago signed Wade, they wouldn’t have signed Boozer, but I don’t think that they wanted any part of paying Bosh as much money as he got (hence the likely fly in the ointment).

I’ll take Taj Gibson, Rose and Wade any day over Bosh and Wade. It’s too bad that Wade came off so badly all because he chose instead to hitch his wagon to La BUM. I figure that greaser Pat Riley though must have some compromising pictures that Wade doesn’t want to see wind up on the internet, and that Wade was afraid of potentially having to play second fiddle to Rose in both of their own home towns.

4. granadosm - May 15, 2011 at 1:55 AM

purdueman let’s not jump the gun here. don’t put rose on d wades level yet. he isn’t a first ballot hall of famer, he hasn’t won a title and he hasn’t single handily brought his team to the playoffs with no other skill players like years past. slow your roll buddy. wade hasn’t reached his ceiling yet, heat are going to win atleast 1 more title Im the next 3 years. rose is still writing the first chapter in his book.

• purdueman - May 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM

grand…. Wade has one ring that he wouldn’t have won had Shaq not been there. The whole ring thing is just silly. Will Perdue has three rings; does that make him a better player than Karl Malone was? Malone retired with zero rings, so I guess in your book that makes him a loser, huh?

What could Rose do with La Bum and Bosh surrounding him? While I’m sure it makes you feel good to pump up your chest and feel good about making such statements, it doesn’t change the fact that Rose is only 22 and has A LOT more ceiling left than Wade does.

5. thetooloftools - May 15, 2011 at 2:28 AM

I’m LeBron James.
    I didn’t say anything stupid today but I’m posting to keep my name out there.

6. davidly - May 15, 2011 at 4:51 AM

This is a nice bit of revisionism on behalf of D-Wade PR Inc (with apparent interest in Lebron Industries). The only thing that had to “fall in line” was James and Wade agreeing upon location. Not that complicated and not so nefarious a conspiracy either, just two guys making “The Decision”.

I’m not surprised that Mr. Helin is jumping on the ESPN meme-train, reporting this without grain of skepticism. Normally I’m reticent to engage in sports-urinalist snark-bashing for its own sake. But conflating the successfully constructed story that came out of Dallas in 1963 with this one suggests that the writer is all of twelve years old.

Lucky for the PTB, the Warren Commission was no Henry Thomas. Though considering how many Helins there are to obliviously carry the water for the likes of them, I don’t suppose it really matters.

7. chicagofan - May 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I am another who believes D Wade never planned to come to Chicago and essentially played the Bulls and his hometown fans to ensure the Heat owner, Arison would fork out the bucks for Bosh and Lebron. I understand why he would not want to return to Chicago–his crazy ex wife would be able to continue to harass him and Gabrielle Union a lot easier than if he stayed in Miami. He got custody of his kids and they are better off in Miami. I still resent his giving the impression he might come to Chicago and getting our hopes up, when he knew he would not. However, beating Miami will take away our bitterness quite nicely.

8. notacelticsfan - May 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM

……. there are people out there that DON’T think there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll?

9. cosanostra71 - May 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM

“You conspiracy theorists who believe Tupac is alive, there was a guy on the grassy knoll and that aliens helped the Egyptians build the pyramids, you also believe LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade had it all mapped out two years ago.”

I’m sorry, but that’s not a conspiracy theory- it’s pretty much the truth. Wade’s camp can say all they want about how he almost went to the Bulls, but they’re just playing PR. I don’t think Bulls fans should boo Wade however. They should focus on the great team they’re putting on the floor without him.

10. deiong - May 16, 2011 at 10:13 PM

do they think a lie is easier to believe from professional liers??

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches