May 13, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
Kendrick Perkins didn’t want to see his friends on the Boston Celtics eliminated in the second round.
He wanted to do it himself.
Perkins was hoping against hope for a Celtics vs. Thunder finals, but that is not going to happen with the Celtics eliminated (and his Thunder have some work to do still ). Perkins told the Star-Telegram he didn’t expect Boston to be gone this early.
“I am surprised,” Perkins said. “I wasn’t expecting them to go down 4-1. I was expecting at least a seven-game series, or them to win it….”
“I’d be lying to you if I would tell you I was disconnected from them,” he said. “One thing about it is I spent eight years over there.
“The only thing about it is that we knew everything about each other. When the trade happened it definitely was surprising to everybody, but this is a business. But at the same time I was wishing the best for those guys, wishing that we both could probably end up in the Finals and meet up for something crazy like that.”
Plenty of Celtics fans are convinced Perkins could have kept the Celtics in it. But unless he suddenly learned to score inside so they could better space out their offense, it wouldn’t have mattered.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record