May 13, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Brian Shaw remains the most likely guy to replace Phil Jackson on the Lakers bench. Getting the endorsement of Kobe Bryant matters.
But if the Lakers go another direction (hello Rick Adelman) Shaw is going to have options.
The Golden State Warriors got permission to talk to Shaw, according to Matt Steinmetz of CSN Bay Area. Shaw is an Oakland native.
Shaw also will interview with the Lakers and was part of the massive Houston Rockets search (but he did not make the list of finalists there). All this interest in Shaw (with other jobs like the Detroit head coach likely to become available soon) may push the Lakers to lock him up sooner if they are going to keep him.
The Warriors also are talking to Jeff Van Gundy, former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, former Cavaliers headman Mike Brown and former Timberwolves head coach and current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 1
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 1
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 10
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13