May 13, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Brian Shaw remains the most likely guy to replace Phil Jackson on the Lakers bench. Getting the endorsement of Kobe Bryant matters.
But if the Lakers go another direction (hello Rick Adelman) Shaw is going to have options.
The Golden State Warriors got permission to talk to Shaw, according to Matt Steinmetz of CSN Bay Area. Shaw is an Oakland native.
Shaw also will interview with the Lakers and was part of the massive Houston Rockets search (but he did not make the list of finalists there). All this interest in Shaw (with other jobs like the Detroit head coach likely to become available soon) may push the Lakers to lock him up sooner if they are going to keep him.
The Warriors also are talking to Jeff Van Gundy, former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, former Cavaliers headman Mike Brown and former Timberwolves head coach and current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32